Bill Clinton Came To My College And No One Cared

What does it look like when passion is replaced with passivity?

10
Credit: Harrison Alonzo

Last week, former President Bill Clinton came to tiny little Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida to campaign for his wife's run at the presidency. And the funny part is, that basically no one at Rollins College had any idea it was happening until about 6 p.m. on Sunday, the night before the event. But that didn't stop people from clearing their schedules to make sure they could be there.

Standing back on the press stage, I had a pretty great view of the entire crowd. And for about an hour and a half beforehand, my photographer and I observed all of the people who were pouring into the upstairs of the Alfond Gym, marveling both at the diversity of the crowd and at the fact that nobody seemed overly shocked or even particularly excited that a former president was going to speak to us here in our home gym.

The more we watched, the clearer it became that something was off. Coming into the rally, I had planned to write about my thoughts as a reporter and a spectator who doesn't support Hillary Clinton, but suddenly I realized that wasn't my angle at all.

Because being behind all of the spectators gave me the perfect vantage point to realize two things. One, that there was very little excitement over the rally itself, and two that what little excitement was generated over the event stemmed mostly from being able to snap a picture or video and post it to social media.

I stood back and watched classmates of mine and local people who live in the area snap selfies and look down at their screens while the 42nd President of the United States stood before them advocating for a candidate who could be our next Commander in Chief, and all I could think was how embarrassed I was of my community to be this generally disinterested in the monumental opportunity they had before them.

And soon after President Clinton had started talking and the satisfactory number of pictures had been taken (about 10 minutes in), listeners began leaving the rally, effectually destroying my faith in humanity and removing considerable validity from President Clinton's claim that support from the I-4 Corridor is how you win Florida.

And for a moment, I started to believe that this was a product of my generation's presence in the crowd. But then I looked at other rallies with other speakers, even a few with the candidates themselves and I saw the same thing I had seen Monday night -- hundreds of screens staring up at hundreds of faces.

This isn't just a problem with my generation, but it is a direct reflection of the general attitude towards this year's election. Many people are undereducated and over-influenced, and exhibit a deep dissatisfaction that leads to a "pick the lesser of two evils" attitude, an inevitable stepping stone into this lack of enthusiasm I saw very clearly at the rally.

We have started living our lives and seeing things that should be exciting and awe-inspiring and memorable second hand through our various screens, and it has instilled in us an aloof and detached attitude towards the very real factors that promise and threaten to change our lives.

In the past, political rallies have been incredibly charged atmospheres, filled with excitement and passion for the political process and for the prospect of a new leader who could change our country for the better. Now, it seems that the country has taken a back seat to their devices, and that the fact that a similar rally can be found on YouTube justifies the enormous detachment employed by a large majority of the attendees I've studied.

Personally, I was impressed, excited and admittedly a little starstruck by President Clinton, and I'm incredibly thankful to be attending a school like Rollins that brings the opportunity to be a real part of my country's political process to my front door.

Generalizations are unfortunate, and they're never true on the whole, and I acknowledge that the country is far from completely devoid of educated people who care, but the difference between a political rally from President Clinton's campaign in 1992 and the rally at Rollins last week is staggering, and it doesn't bode well for the younger generations' participation and interest in the political process going forward.