Let The Lord Coach Your Game Of Life

Let The Lord Coach Your Game Of Life

No matter what quarter of your life you are in, it is never too late to start fresh. Start today and make the choice to finish strong and follow Jesus!

10
Let The Lord Coach Your Game Of Life
Lori Johnson

It is that time of year again! Game day is what we look forward to each week. Whether it is Friday night high school football or Saturday college game day, there is a game for us all. If you play the game of football you probably know much more about it than I know but I do know that quarter by quarter the players get tired. Football is a strenuous game, mentally and physically. I am sure it is tough to finish the entire 4 quarters.

When I think of game day and college football, my mind automatically goes to Alabama football. I grew up an Alabama fan and I am now an Alumni of UA! Game day at Alabama is so much fun! Naturally, this past weekend I went to Tuscaloosa to watch the game. Of course, Alabama won and everyone in the football world was satisfied. However, that is not the moral of my story.

Sunday morning my boyfriend and I attended church in Tuscaloosa. We sang a few songs and soon enough the pastor stood up and walked to the podium with his hands in the air holding up four fingers. As we have witnessed many times, the Alabama football team raises their four fingers just like this in recognition of the fourth quarter of the ballgame. The fans join in and soon the entire stadium in holding up four fingers. This is a motivating technique for the players. They have given their service for the entire game, they have tested their strength and kept their eyes on the main goal of the game, winning. It is down to the final quarter and everyone is watching as the team attempts to finish strong.

I had never put much thought into holding up my four fingers. It signaled the fourth quarter and sadly, if you are at a home game, it signals the end game day fun for the weekend. But Sunday, during that church service I gained a whole new meaning of holding my four fingers in the air.

“His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” Matthew 25:21 This verse is what we want to hear from our Lord when we have finished all four quarters of life. This is what we are working toward day after day in order to win the game of life. However, in order for us to finish strong we need a few things. We need to focus on God regardless of which quarter we are in. In a football game, if the team is behind by twenty- eight points in the second quarter are they going to give up or fight to the end? A well- coached team will probably fight to the end. That is exactly what Paul did throughout his life. In the book of Acts, Paul shows us three things we need in order to finish strong.

1. Finishing strong requires humble, tearful and suffering service

Who are you serving? Are you striving to please people or please God? What motivates your life? All of these questions should have simple answers. God should be our center of service. If you are serving God, you will be the best at whatever you are doing. You are who you are because of God and if you serve and follow Him, everything else will take care of itself.

2. Finishing strong requires courage and strength

Our goal on this earth is to teach and serve others. Paul never faltered in his teachings. He did not sugar- coat the word of God. There is only one way to heaven and we should spread that truth for all the world to hear. It is not easy to be a Christian in this day and time but God knew we would face these times. Therefore, He has given those who choose to follow Him the strength and courage to finish strong.

3. Finishing strong requires simplemindedness

Only one thing should matter in everything we do; strongly finish the work God has given us. Whatever God has laid before us in our plans, we should wholeheartedly trust Him and finish His work. 2 Timothy 4;7-8 says “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

We never know what quarter of our life we are in. I am twenty- four but I could already be in my third quarter, I have no idea. But I want to seek my Savior in all I do and finish strong so that when I enter the gates of heaven I can hear the words “well done good and faithful servant.” No matter what quarter of your life you are in, it is never too late to start fresh. Start today and make the choice to finish strong and follow Jesus!