To The High School Class Of 2019 Graduates

Everything will be okay, I promise.

193

About a year ago, I was in your shoes. I had to wake up early to go to these pointless graduation practices. From seniors' last day of school until the day before graduation I continuously celebrated with friends and family. I was out until 4am riding around with my friends enjoying the freedom we were about to have.

This freedom brought mixed feelings.

About 2 days before graduation, I hung out with one of my best friends of all time. As we were talking about random nonsense, it hit us that we were both graduating from our high schools this week. Here we were, friends from fourth grade until senior year, so excited about going away to college; yet we had this realization of how fast it all flew by.

It is okay to reminisce.

We spent the rest of the night talking about old memories and laughing at how silly it was to care about the smallest things. We talked about old teachers, field trips, books, projects, parties, and sporting events. We talked about how involved we were in our high schools. We talked about how we were so grateful our friendship lasted, despite attending different high schools. We knew from the day we met we would be true best friends until we died.

What about all my friends?

After you walk across that stage, a lot changes. You have an entire summer vacation full of roommate selecting, dorm shopping, college orientation, and spending time with friends and family. Some of these friends you worry you may not see for a really long time and you may drift. Luckily, our true friends will always be a Snapchat or text away! The college semester will get busy, but I promise you that does not change how much you and your friends love each other! You will make time for the friends that matter. And if you don't stay in touch, it is totally okay. Often times, you reunite with them over holiday breaks and pick up right where you left off!

What about my family?

Being away from family is definitely tougher than being away from your friends, that is for sure. There will be nights where all you want is to eat a homecooked meal and laugh at the family table with your parents and siblings. There will be nights where you just yearn for a hug from a parent or to play games with your siblings. Try to schedule a time to communicate with them. For example, I would text my family good morning and good night most days, with a phone call after my last class of the day every few days.

Everything will be okay, I promise.

Whether you are stressing about moving away, your major, the cost of college, where you are going to college, or anything else, trust that everything will work out the way it is supposed to. Your friends and family will always support you no matter how close or far away they are!

Most importantly, ENJOY YOUR SUMMER!