I Have High Standards And It's NOT A Bad Thing

I Have High Standards And It's NOT A Bad Thing, I Just Know What I Deserve

Now I'm not a big fairytale type of girl who's waiting to get swept off her feet, just a girl who knows what's best for her.

242

They say you have to kiss a bunch of frogs to find your prince, well they were right.

What they didn't say was that every time you kiss a frog, you know what kind of prince you want to find. You're not afraid to be picky about which prince that is because, in the end, you want to live happily ever after. Not happily ever after until you realize he isn't right for you.

To me, having high standards doesn't mean you only care about if they're muscular, tall, or if they have a good sense of style. High standards mean you care about the inside too, such as what type of morals they have, their actions, and most importantly, how they treat you. It's the concept of accepting the love you think you deserve.

In my experience with frogs, I used to make excuses for them. There were times when I knew said frog and I weren't a match and that it wasn't going anywhere, yet I was still caught up in the "Well, maybe it'll work out" mindset and stayed like a dumbass. I wanted to feel loved and know I had a security blanket there whenever I needed it.

Well, it sure as hell didn't work out and if I could slap myself in the face for settling for less than what I deserve, my face would be numb. Since I've steered clear of those frogs, I've learned more about myself in terms of who I am, what I'm looking for and not looking for in someone, and what kind of person I want in my life long term.

You can call me "picky" and "high maintenance" all you want, but at least I'll end up with someone who I feel is right for me.

To all the girls with the mental checklist for boyfriend requirements, it's totally OK. We know what we like and what will make us happy and if you're reading this and you say you don't have one, well you're lying. We all know what kind of significant other we want to share experiences with. Me for example, I want someone who brings out the best in me, who supports me, who loves me, and who has a nice bod. Sorry, I like what I like. The list could go on and on and I'm proud of that.

Until then, I consider my time and energy precious, meaning if I show interest in you, it's for a reason. It means I'm willing to let my guard down to get to know you and see if there's something there. Girls who have high standards don't let their guard down easily due to the fact that they've dealt with way too many frogs that broke their hearts.

So be patient with us and you won't regret it.

To all the frogs out there, consider this as me officially putting my foot down. I'm done sticking around and I will say "peace out" if I want too. I'm not going to settle for someone that doesn't treat me how I deserve to be treated.

I'm well aware of my own self-worth.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.