Goldroom takes on Lake Michigan for High Seas Tour 2018.

Los Angeles' Goldroom, hits the waters of Lake Michigan for high Seas Tour 2018

Seeing a show on the water is a spectacle in itself.

48

As Josh Legg, also known as Goldroom, embarks in his fourth year of the high seas tour, his biggest yet, it is looking to be another smash hit with a couple of turntables, a lively audience, the skies & water, and of course, a boat.

"There's something special about partying under the sun. Being on a boat with the sun shining down, wind blowing in your hair – I can't get enough of it." And it seems that this basis is what drives Legg to do this tour year after year. As he spent most weekends growing up on boats, that time listening and growing in love with music gives this tour a very special feeling, almost nostalgic, when it's time for the waterfront shows.

As a fan, I've seen this tour come up on my radar (obviously in Chicago) two or three times now. For whatever reason, I always snoozed and had another commitment. Well, this time it is a different story. Saturday, July 28th, the French Horn Rebellion and Goldroom will set sail on the Anita Dee at 1 PM for an afternoon on the water to remember.

Goldroom has played at Chicago on various occasions. Some of the more notable ones would be Mamby Music Festival, Concord Music Hall, Primary Night Club, and another High Seas tour or two. The High Seas shows seem to have a special meaning to Legg as they "allow him to play whatever he wants, whenever he wants." Which means, in a DJ set, he gets to play from a catalog of his favorite songs, inspirations, and Goldroom material, at any point in the day or night. "I make music for this setting."

2017's tour included seven cities in North America, with an extension into Europe and then a finale in Croatia for Yacht Week. 2018 is nothing but a massive expansion upon 2017, going for big heights including 12-cities with multiples shows (day and night) including Canada and Serbia.

After listening to Daft Punk's Discovery, Legg explained "that record was the one that changed the way I thought about electronic music. Their instrumentals were emotional to me in a way that no one had ever created before." Legg certainly has a method of creating and cultivating "a very specific, special vibe." His goal for this tour, since its inception, is about bringing the experience of "firsts" to the fans.

It's with great pleasure to say this is not only my first show on Lake Michigan but first Goldroom show on a boat – and I assure you, it won't be the last.