8 Things High School Seniors Should Know About Their Last 8 Weeks

It's ok to not have a single clue about what's next.

15172
Author's photo

High School Seniors,

First and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS! You FINALLY made it! You're in the homestretch now. The only thing separating you from freedom is the lengthy 8 weeks between now and graduation. You're almost there! If you don't know already, here are the 8 things you must know about your final 8 weeks in high school.

1. Take a breath and slow down

I know, that's not what you want to hear, but seriously. Slow down for a few minutes. You have a lifetime to go after adventure and all that this world has to offer, but you only have 8 more weeks to appreciate where you are. Enjoy it before it's too late!

2. Be thankful for where you are

I know, it's hard. You feel like you are trapped in a prison that you can't escape from fast enough. But seriously, appreciate it while you can. These days will soon be just a memory and you don't want to remember them as dreadful. It may take you a year, it may take you several decades, but one day something will happen to you and it will launch your memory right back to high school.

3. Everything your mom does to annoy you is done out of love

For 18 years now, you've seen her as someone who makes irrational rules and makes your life difficult at times. You may not see it now, but one day you will recognize all she's done, she's done out of love. So, during these last 8 weeks, if she asks you to be home for dinner, be home for dinner. If she asks you to stay in one night, stay in one night. If she wants to make your bed and pack your lunch, let her. In just a few short months you'll be off to college or off on a new adventure and she won't be able to any of those things for her baby. Let her baby you for just a little bit longer.

4. You are going to have to say a lot of goodbyes in a very short time

To friends, family members, teachers, coaches... you're going to master the art of saying goodbye. Everyone says they're going to stay in touch once they go off on their separate journeys, but truth is, it is incredibly difficult. Life will take you in so many directions and it will be challenging to keep up with old friends. You're going to be starting an entirely new life in a few months. That's not to say you won't keep your old friends, but it's never going to be the same as it is right now. So, until you say goodbye in 8 short weeks, hang out with everyone as much as you can. Get in those last few memories.

5. A thank you will go a long way, and so will an apology

Do you have someone who went the extra mile for you? Do you have a teacher who spent countless hours working with you? Do you have a counselor who checked on you when you needed it? If you have someone who even remotely helped you during these past 4 years, make sure they know what you mean to them. A thank you will go a long way.

On the flip side, if you've done something to hurt someone, try and make an apology before you graduate. It's never too late to right a wrong. Never burn a bridge because you never know when you might need to cross it again in the future.

6. It's okay to not know what you're doing

Some of you might not know what major you want to be in. Some may not even know what school you want to attend just yet. Some might even know what the next step at all is. That's okay. I know it seems like everyone else around you has everything figured out, but they don't. I promise. You'll soon realize that everything happens for a reason and everything works out just as it's supposed to.

7. Appreciate a home-cooked meal

Cook Out, Chick-fil-a, Zaxbys...they're all amazing. But nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will ever beat a home cooked meal prepared with love by your mom. It just won't. You're about to head off into a world of dining hall "food" and never-ending ramen. You will soon miss the days where a warm meal was ready for you at the end of the day. So, for the next 8 weeks. Eat at home as much as you can. I know going on a dinner run to Cook Out with your best friends is fun, but enjoy your mom's cooking while you can.

8. There is a last moment for everything

This is one you should take with you beyond graduation. Nothing lasts forever. There's a last home baseball game, a last school lunch, a last time walking away from your locker... One day these moments will all be just a memory. Make the most of every single one of these moments. It won't be too long before you are celebrating your HUGE accomplishment with the people you've spent the last 4 years with. The fact that nothing lasts forever is both good and bad. Make sure you learn to decipher the good moments from the bad. Be thankful the bad ones don't last forever, and appreciate the good moments before they're gone.