Hidden Gems of the Nashville Parks

Hidden Gems of the Nashville Parks

Make Leslie Knope Proud

264
Hidden Gems of the Nashville Parks
Athletic Business

I happen to have the privilege to live in a city that's bursting with live music, great shopping, and interesting people. But there's one hidden gem Nashville has to offer that most people don't know about, and that's the park system. Under the Nashville Parks and Recreation there's a whole range of activities for locals to enjoy, from ice skating to hiking. Here is a list of my favorite parks in the Nashville area...

1. Centennial Park

Centennial is a short 30 minutes walk from my apartment, so go there pretty often. It's a great place to chill out, play frisbee, or picnic, but there's also alway fun (and usually free) events going on in the park. From cultural festivals to Musicians Corner, there's something for whatever mood you're in. My favorite thing is Shakespeare in the Park, sponsored by the Nashville Shakespeare Festival. You get to bring a picnic, and watch a show under the stars. Catch Comedy of Errors and Macbeth this summer starting in August.

2. Love Circle

Located in the Hillsboro-West End neighborhood, this park is alway a great place to relax and get a great view of the Nashville skyline. There are always people there taking photos and picnicking. Some things to be ready for is the steep drive up to Love Circle, and limited parking. Also, the park closes at 9pm and is closely watched, so maybe don't go there for late night shenanigans.

3. Edwin and Percy Warner Parks

If you love hiking, then this is your park. There are tons of walking and horse trails (don't be like me and accidentally hike on a horse trail) to explore. This is definitely the place to go once leaves start changing in the fall. Once you're in the forest, you'll completely forget you're so close to Nashville.

4. Radnor Lake

This happens to be my favorite park in Nashville. There are miles of trails to hike on, and because it's a natural area (no dogs or trail running allowed on hiking trails), you're very likely to see wildlife. Also, it's super close to downtown Nashville, so even if you're just visiting the city, it's not too out of the way. The lake is beautiful, and there are always ducks and turtles to watch.

5. Fannie Mae Dees Park

This is definitely the hidden gem of Nashville Parks. It's located right near Hillsboro Village, but most people have never been. While it's mostly a playground, it has an amazing mosaic dragon that you can climb or sit on, or just take cool pictures of. This park definitely has a cool environment, so even if you don't have kids, you should visit, and let your inner child come out.

This absolute best things about all of these parks is that they are completely free! I encourage you to visit them all, especially in the summer when there are events going on all the time. Happy Exploring!