Modern Heroism

Heroes Of Our Time

Or, how I want to be a hero in the modern world.

131

On March 8, it was International Women's Day, where people all over the world recognized the struggles of women around the world, along with the necessary progress necessary to achieve full equality in society. That day passed through my mind like any other day, but the idea of being celebrated for my achievements and helping others garner rights always stood out to me. And with the opportunities which I'm fortunate to have and those I've created, I could do something special.

Simultaneously, I also live in a world where the difference between a hero and a villain is obscured, if not completely dissolved. In our political climate, where at this point, even a certain action can be interpreted to many different ways, whomever is a hero is considered one who not only stands up for themselves, but also brings a strong victory to their side. And with the 2020 presidential campaigns along the way, I had the impression the Democratic Party candidates may shift further to the left, which is advantageous for my political position, but not necessarily for those who may oppose it.

When combined for my interests in literature, I see heroism as one shining moment, born out of the hero's journey. A person would receive their calling from a supernatural source or fate, and decide to take it. They would of course struggle to do what's right and achieve their destiny, but when they did, they would have spectacular glory and respect, no matter if its in life or death.

These influences shape how I want to become a hero — I want to emerge out of a humdrum life in university, take a stand with my writing, and eventually inspire people to do the same. But in books and movies, heroism is seemingly straightforward, showing none of the ordinary work a person has to take to achieve their high status, nor how they pushed through at what they're doing. As somebody who started lacking persistence and will recently, I question how I want to be heroic, when I have to learn how to survive as well.

Going into my 22 year, and further into graduation, I have to learn heroism isn't necessarily contained in one moment, like saving a life or motivating troops to go to war. It doesn't even have to be factional at times, defeating good over evil in some aspects. It has to be a commitment towards what one believes in, and the perseverance to see it through, no matter how difficult it is or how hot the spotlight burns on oneself. And wouldn't it be enough for now?