8 Things College Bartenders Want You To Know When You Go Out

Basically tip your bartender and don't be f**king rude

24

Here's a how-to guide on not being an a**hole when you go out, coming from a college bartender. Be nice, know what you want, tip well, and respect the bar staff.

1. Say hi!

Me: "Hi, how's it go--"

Customer: Rum & coke

At least let me finish before you order, okay?

2. Don't ask us to make your drink stronger

"Make it stiff" *wink* Yeah, no, still going to pour the normal amount. If you want a double in a single cup, do that! It still costs the same as a double though.

3. Tip

ESPECIALLY IN A GLOBAL PANDEMIC. Some bartenders are making around $3 an hour (no hazard pay) and rely on tips for the rest of their hourly wage. It's just like going out to a restaurant, if you can't afford to tip-- don't go out. $1 per drink is appreciated.

4. Know what you want BEFORE you go up to the bar

When it’s really busy I don’t have time to stand there while you figure out what you want. If you don’t know yet, either don’t go up to the bar or say you need more time so I can move on to the next customer.

5. Do not yell at the bartender or stick your card out to get their attention

It’s annoying and disrespectful. We’ll get to you when we get the chance.

6. Do not throw your card or cash in the bartender’s face as he or she makes your drink

Bartenders are able to multitask a lot, however, it is not ideal to take your card or cash and set it down while we make your drink. Chill.

7. Don’t ask for special deals for yourself

Would you go into Target and ask the cashier to change the price on an item? No. I don’t make the prices, and there are always other specials going on.

8. Underagers- don’t sneak in through the back door or other entrances when you get denied

Yes, all your friends are at the bar and yes, you want to be there too. What you don’t understand is that this causes a lot of stress on all the workers in the bar for a few reasons. 1) We have to have a barback sit at the back entrance instead of helping us behind the bar. 2) If something were to happen to you we could be found liable. 3) There’s is a city-regulated capacity to the amount of people who can be in the bar. Don’t be be that person who causes stress for other people who are just trying to do their jobs.

9. Order mixed drinks this way: Size --> Alcohol --> Mixer

Single or double --> Vodka, rum, gin, whiskey, tequila, etc. (If you want a specific brand, like Tito's, say that too) --> Coke, soda, tonic, ginger ale, etc. It's frustrating when customers come up and start listing off 3+ different drinks but don't say which sizes so I have to ask at the end and then forget all of the drinks.

10. If you are nice and we are in a good mood we might give you a deal

BUT asking for a deal or a free shot or whatever will get you absolutely nothing and will only piss off your bartender.