Here's To Honor Among Thieves

Here's To Honor Among Thieves

Stay evil, doll face.

27
Here's To Honor Among Thieves
Alpha Coders
“What was that? I should kill everyone and escape? Sorry, it’s the voices. Ahaha, I’m kidding! That’s not what they really said.”

Like millions of nerds around the country, I was one of the chosen few who — OK no, I wasn’t one of the chosen few, in all seriousness, I bought two tickets to see what is billed to be summer's biggest movie this year. That would happen to be DC Comics “Suicide Squad” staring Jared Leto as the Joker, Margot Robbie as Dr. Harleen Quinzel (aka our lovable Harley Quinn), Will Smith as Deadshot, Cara Delevinge as Enchantress and the wonderful Viola Davis as Amanda Waller.

So, if you’re not familiar with “Suicide Squad” or you’ve just been living under a rock (or underwater like Aquaman, take your pick—not judging), “Suicide Squad” is based on the DC Comics antihero team of the same name and is also the third installment in the DC Extended Universe. Now that I’ve comfortably put away my nerd bible, the movie is about Amanda Waller needing to put together a group of the most dangerous criminals that she can possibly find (granted this was after Superman died. If you can’t connect the two, then go watch the mess of a movie called “Batman V. Superman”) to be used as disposable assets to the United States Government. The Squad is made up of El Diablo, Deadshot, Captain Boomerang, Killer Crock and Slipknot (even though Slipknot lasts all of five minutes). In short, they have to end up saving the world because the Enchantress gets ahold of a human body that can possess her brother and once that happens, they can work together to take over the world. She ends up building a very large army and it’s up to the Suicide Squad to save the world.

“Suicide Squad” is not only being billed as the biggest movie this summer, but with an all-star cast. Naturally, this got myself and my brother excited. I’m personally not a huge DC fan (the only character of the DC universe that I really like is Poison Ivy), and I honestly wanted to see Jared Leto pull off The Joker. Now, with all the clips that I’ve watched and teaser trailers that I’ve seen, you’d think that Jared Leto would have decent screen time (being that he is Jared Leto and all), but this is very far from the truth. The most that you see him is all of five minutes (maybe even less than that) and every time he’s in a scene, the movie usually cuts to a different scene directly after. Even before this movie was released, there was minimal backlash presented such as Harley Quinn being too sexed up. While I know that there are Harley Quinn purists that are reading this article, I half-heartedly agree. While we do get a glimpse of the original Harley Quinn in her original jester suit, I think her being a bit more sexed up in terms of tattoos, booty shorts, see-through crop top and red bra, is a tad more appealing. Just remember, sex sells and Harley really “sold” her character. Another problem I had with the movie was that I felt like I was just watching a movie about Deadshot. I learned more about Deadshot in two hours than I knew about any other character in that movie. Not saying that Will Smith wasn’t awesome, because he was, but if I wanted to see a movie about Deadshot, I would have paid to see “Deadshot” instead of “Suicide Squad”. While we did get to see some of the back story of the characters, and after thinking, what is El Diablo's purpose in the squad because he’s literally just standing there doing basically nothing, he really redeemed himself the last half hour of the movie, showing us what his power can really do and he sacrificed himself in doing so.

While there were more than enough cons to outweigh the pros of the movie, the one thing that I really enjoyed was the marketing that Warner Brothers pumped into the movie. While waiting in line to enter the theater, we were given free Harley Quinn posters and we were able to take pictures with the huge cardboard standee of the Joker as well as the entire group. I’m the type of person that is also visually stimulated by bright colors (no wonder why my favorite color is hot pink) and if you’re also a person that is easily visually stimulated, then everything with the name “Suicide Squad” is for you! Every color that’s used is bright: hues of teal, bright purples, bright lime green, hot pink, any color you can think of that can be made into a typical color of Day-Glo a la Kesha, is most likely used in the marketing material for the movie. Another pro is the soundtrack featuring music by Skrillex, Lil Wayne, Twenty One Pilots, Skylar Gray, Kevin Gates and Panic! At The Disco covering Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody.” Also the music in the movie is quite on the side of awesome. If you don’t start bobbing your head to the opening riff to “Seven Nation Army” then something must be wrong with you.

This movie was way overhyped for our liking. Would I go see it again in theaters? Absolutely not. Maybe I’ll see it when it comes to Redbox by the end of the year, or even Netflix. Will I purchase the DVD when it comes out? Maybe. I’m considering the DVD just because it’s going to tie in to other movies that are being made about metahumans. Along with a sequel to “Suicide Squad” which I’m sure will be in the works soon (if you saw the movie and stayed for the ending, you know what I’m talking about), “Aquaman” and “The Flash” are going to get their own movies, and “Justice League” is in pre-production as we speak. If you’re a DC Comics fan, or just love superheroes and or villains, I highly recommend seeing "Suicide Squad" still. Please ignore all the bad reviews and see it for yourself and get your own opinion. My theory is that critics don't like DC. They’re constantly giving DC films bad reviews when they don’t deserve it, and praising Marvel. Don’t get me wrong, I love Marvel but having been raised by a comic book guru and knowing a thing or two about heroes and villains, Batman was always my favorite. As for favorite villains, Joker and Harley Quinn win by a landslide, and that’s why I was so excited for Suicide Squad. We haven’t see Harley in a live action film yet and Margot Robbie nailed it. The film was everything it needed to be, but they just didn’t do it properly. There were so many stories that needed to be told and it got kind of difficult to follow, but it was obviously necessary for the film to make sense. I will say that the ending was the best part for me. Everything came together and it all made sense.

Also can we talk about the amount of Samsung product placement? So. Much. Product. Placement. Boomerang's weapon has a Bluetooth camera or something attached to it, and uses his Samsung phone to see what's going on inside the building. Also when The Joker shows up to the lab, the doctor is using a tablet. The 'Suicide Squad' have a rice-sized bomb implanted into their necks, and Sgt. Flags has it connected to his Samsung phone, and so does Waller.

What I wasn’t a fan of is Killer Croc could have definitely been bigger. He was also a lot more comical than mean, unlike the comics. I really loved his character though, and I’m glad they included him. As for Enchantress, I wanted more. We get that she’s a witch and has been on earth for what seems like forever, but I still wanted to know more about her backstory. Same thing goes for her brother, a lot of people were just like, “OK, but who is he?” Moving along to Deadshot, I get that Will Smith played him, but he only wore his mask two or three times. I can understand that when someone like Will Smith is playing him they don’t want his face covered, but it wasn’t staying completely true to the character.

Well, there you have it puddin’. If you plan on seeing the movie, go in with an open mind that’s free and void of any and all reviews and come to your conclusion about it. Go see the movie yourself. If you don't think you'd like it based off of reviews, wait for it to come out on DVD. I’ll be in my cage with my new espresso machine.

“Suicide Squad” is in theaters now.