What Should You Do When The Goblins Come Knocking?

How a documentary on YouTube can make a believer out of anyone.

15

The paranormal is something that has always been decisive. It seems that people are either skeptics or believers, and never settle in the grey area between those two sides. The believers will say that anything that's supposed to be evidence of the paranormal is definitely real, and skeptics will do everything they can to find a logical explanation. The debate over whether or not the paranormal is real will likely continue until the end of time. But there's a documentary series that is actually a really interesting review of the paranormal, and it takes place in a small town in Kentucky.

"Hellier" is a show on YouTube that follows two paranormal investigators, Greg and Dana Newkirk, as they work with two of their colleagues to look into a man's claims of being taunted by goblins. I know, this sounds ridiculous. But it's actually a really interesting look into the paranormal. Right from the start, the Newkirks acknowledge the criticisms that people have. They're aware that the things they investigate are extremely foreign to a lot of people, and they're very upfront about that. In fact, it's one of the first things they mention. Acknowledging the criticisms of their work and how it's hard to get people to believe actually adds quite a bit of depth to the show.

From this point on, the Newkirks and their colleagues never try to force anyone to believe in the paranormal. They simply bring the audience along for the ride. They show every part of their investigation as it progresses. They show every piece of equipment they use, explain every thought behind they're actions, and go into a lot of the mythology behind what they're investigating. They're extremely open about what they're doing as a way to hopefully give people more of an understanding of the paranormal. After all, this is probably the best way to get people to believe in it. If audiences understand what's going on, they might be more open to believing that what they're seeing is true.

Even if you don't believe in the paranormal, "Hellier" is still an amazing thing to watch. It doesn't feel like just another paranormal TV show. It plays out more like a mystery, with the Newkirks seeming like detectives instead of "ghost hunters." There are twists and turns around every corner, and the show will continuously keep you on your feet. Even though it's a show about the paranormal, it feels grounded in reality. When the Newkirks and their colleagues talk about explanations for the paranormal events, it doesn't seem outlandish. It sounds like a perfectly normal explanation for what's happening. It makes the paranormal seem perfectly normal.

"Hellier" is a show that can easily please both skeptics and believers. It presents an event that most people would scoff at as a perfectly believable mystery. It's a thoroughly entertaining thrill ride through the world of goblins and aliens and ghosts. It handles its subject matter perfectly, and can make anyone believe in the existence of the paranormal. It might be the thing that bridges the gap between skeptics and believers. It might be the the thing that can make the fantastical seem plausible.