Use Your Heartbreak To Grow Closer To God

Do not lose yourself for a boy that did not appreciate your worth.

468
Unsplash

Heartbreak sucks no matter who you are. The feeling of not being loved or good enough. The first few days of heartbreak you have the literal pain. The constant knot in your stomach, the pain in your chest that makes it feel impossible to breathe, the knot in your throat trying to hold back tears but eventually your eyesight gets blurry and the tears start falling. This is the time to reach for God.

During a heartbreak, it feels like there is a hole in your heart taken by the guy that left you. We allow someone to create a hole in our heart when we believe that we are not complete without someone. We focus on the loneliness and we try to cover the pain by turning to alcohol, drugs and rebounds rather than turning to the one and only true healer. Don't lose yourself because one boy couldn't appreciate your worth. God, the one true healer, wants to take your hand, heal your heart and walk you through this. He wants to fill this hole if you let him in. Psalm 34:18 states "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."

I want you to know that it is okay to be hurt; we are human and we are not perfect. Realize that we are weak and the only one that can hold the weight of our sins and our broken heart is God. We are human so we question why the good Father would allow us to hurt. But remember that God knows what he is doing. Jeremiah 29:11 — "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Use this opportunity to seek a closer relationship with Him. Talk to him, tell him your heart and how much you hurt. Tell him how much you need him. He will hear you. You may not get an immediate reply but if you follow his commands, eventually you will have healing and he will show you the good plans he has for you. You have to speak to him, let him in — ask and you will receive his love and encouragement. God has not left you; he is there waiting for you to call on him for help.

God reached out to us to get others to follow Him. Use your pain to reach out to others who may be hurting as well. They need his love and encouragement just as much but may also need some guidance. Take the time to care for others, to show them what God can do with their pain. It also helps to reach out to fellow Christ followers to help with your healing. Some who are heartbroken reach out to other distractions to hide from the pain but seek out brothers and sisters in Christ for support, to encourage you to turn to the only one that can truly take your pain away.

Trust in Him. Turn to Him. Open His Word and pray when it hurts. Find comfort in his words coming to you. He is the one who can truly heal the hole in your heart. When we fully give our lives to God we can be whole and find true happiness with Him, single or not. When He is the one filling our hearts, we may hurt but we will always be okay because He is the one holding us together — not another imperfect human being.