Having A Healthy Lifestyle In Times of Change Is So Important

By establishing an active lifestyle in the midst of change, you'll be able to establish healthy habits your body will thank you for.

125

Whether you're starting college or starting a new job, transition periods can take a toll on your body. Stress can cause you to overeat, undereat or make your muscles tense up. Adjusting to a new sleep schedule is another feat in itself. However, big life changes don't have to mean that your health plummets. Let's face it, the stress that comes along with a transition period is damaging enough to your health, so the last thing you should do is stop taking care of your body.

As a dancer, I'm pretty lucky that every time I experience a big life change, I still have dance as both as an outlet and a workout. However, I realize that not every incoming freshman has the same kind of athletic course-load that I had, so adjusting to college and avoiding the freshman 15 could be a lot harder for some. While I definitely danced a lot in college, sticking to a regular gym schedule was another thing that helped my health stay on track.

The most important thing about going to the gym is working it into your weekly schedule. Once you've gotten yourself into a routine, it's not as hard to stick to. Staying active and working out in college is important because it helps your brain release endorphins as well which relieve stress.

Now that I've graduated, I've discovered that working gym time into my schedule is a little more challenging. I've started doing a lot of home workouts on days where I just can't seem to fit the gym in. However, staying active even when I'm stressed helps me adjust to change. Knowing that fitness is a constant in my life keeps me from getting overwhelmed in times of transition.

Fitness is important and it's especially important during transition periods. By establishing an active lifestyle in the midst of change, you'll be able to establish healthy habits your body will thank you for. Staying healthy isn't optional, especially when you're stressed out.