11 Herbal Teas And Their Surprising Health Benefits

Herbal tea is so much more than just a way to relax.

289

I drink herbal tea every morning. Not just because I love the taste or that the warmth wakes me up, but for the positive effect it has on my body. I always add honey, which is good for you as well. When buying herbal tea make sure to buy only organic, because other teas can contain the pesticides that were sprayed on them.

For any pain or problem you are dealing with physically or mentally, one of these teas should help you feel better.

1. Green 

This tea is said to be the healthiest beverage on the planet. Green tea contains natural antioxidants that help prevent cell damage. It also reduces inflammation and helps fight cancer and disease. The catechins in this tea kill bacteria and lower your risk of infection.

Green tea is a great substitute for coffee and is a natural form of caffeine. It contains L-theanine, which has anti-anxiety effects. So although the caffeine is giving you energy, you still feel calm. This tea also boosts your metabolic rate and increases the burning of fat.

2. Chamomile 

Chamomile tea is full of antioxidants which lower your risk of a lot of diseases, along with heart disease and cancer. It helps people control their blood sugar levels and is great for heart health.

This tea can relieve anxiety and drinking it before bed is a great way to help you fall asleep.

3. Ginger

Drinking ginger tea is a great way to relieve nausea, stomach pain or vomiting. It improves digestion and helps your body absorb the nutrients in food. Ginger tea reduces bloating and inflammation, while also improving blood circulation.

You should drink this tea when you are sick because it is high in Vitamin C and Magnesium.

4. Peppermint

Peppermint tea is great for any stomach problems. It relieves pain from gas or bloating and helps to speed and ease digestion. Peppermint contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, and is good to drink while you are sick because it breaks up mucus.

Drinking peppermint tea also keeps your mouth healthy and smelling nice.

5. Chai

This tea is great to drink in the morning because it has natural caffeine from the black tea leaves. Chai tea also helps improve digestion and gets rid of nausea. It reduces inflammation so it is good for calming aches and pains in your body.

Chai tea contains high amounts of antioxidants and this protects overall cell health, prevents chronic disease, heart problems and supports the immune system.

6. Turmeric 

Turmeric tea really helps reduce inflammation which helps reduce arthritis symptoms. This tea boosts immune function and lowers your risk of heart attacks. It prevents Alzheimer's, helps manage Irritable Bowel Syndrome and protects against liver damage and gallstones.

7. Corn silk

Corn silk tea is used for bladder infections, inflammation of the urinary system, inflammation of the prostate, kidney stones and bed wetting. It is also used to treat congestive heart failure, diabetes, high blood pressure, fatigue and high cholesterol levels.

My dog even had bladder problems for a while and this tea really helped her heal.

8. Kava

Drinking kava tea improves attitude, relaxes the body and increases mental clarity. Kava helps improve your mood and eases stress and pain. This tea is so relaxing that right when you drink it your mouth will feel a little numb. It is a great way to fall asleep too.

9. Marshmellow Root

Marshmallow root tea helps relieve pain and swelling of the urinary tract. This tea really focuses on problems in the bladder such as urinary tract inflammation and stones in the urinary tract, but it is also good for other things.

It is used for dry cough, inflammation of the lining of the stomach, diarrhea, stomach ulcers and constipation.

10. Hibiscus

Hibiscus tea is really good for managing blood pressure. Hibiscus has diuretic properties that increase urination, simultaneously lowering blood pressure. It lowers cholesterol and protects the liver. Other benefits include improvements in digestion, anti-depressant properties and weight loss.

The health benefits of hibiscus tea also include relief from cramps and menstrual pain. It helps in restoring hormone balance, which can reduce other symptoms of menstruation like mood swings, depression and overeating.

11. Cinnamon

Cinnamon tea works well in soothing strep throat pain and the infection too. Cinnamon has great anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory responses that soothe your throat inflammation and reduces the swelling.

This tea also lowers blood sugar levels and has an anti-diabetic effect.