5 Reasons You're Completely Wrong To Hate Slytherins

We refuse to be the villains in your story.

190
Claudia Connors

Hogwarts house rivalry is great fun, especially during Qudditich matches and House Cup competitions. But when the rivalry turns into claims that an entire house is made up of villainous wizards, it's time to set the record straight. We've all been sorted into houses based on our traits and values, and Slytherins' can just be more difficult to understand. So let's debunk a few myths about Slytherin House.

1. You think we're all evil, but really we're just ambitious.

Our desire for power and greatness does not automatically mean we’re evil by nature. We simply want to change the world, and actually, have the motivation and determination to do so. And if your rebuttal to that is the “There's not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin” quote, see Peter Pettigrew, a cowardly and evil traitor and a Gryffindor. We don't blame whole houses for the actions of a few people, so don't blame ours.

2. Think we're a bunch of snobs? Nah, we're just selective.

If the Slytherins in your life aren't going out of their way to do things for you, it doesn't mean that they're all rude. They might just be busy going out of their way for other people. Slytherins tend to be fiercely loyal to only a select few people in their lives, like their friends or family. So if you want a Slytherin to use any means to achieve their ends and yours, try getting to know them better first.

3. Are we "extra"? Nope! We just have style.

Just because our aesthetic rocks doesn't mean we're extra. Our house colors, dark green, and silver, are sophisticated and gorgeous. We like dark clothing and thunderstorms and firewhiskey. Oh, and don't even get me started on our underwater common room. Yeah, maybe we're a little extra. But hey, if you got it, flaunt it.

4. What you call self-centeredness, we call self-preservation.

Slytherins can be just as brave as Gryffindors. The difference is, we'll analyze every situation before diving into it headfirst. And if we deem it too dangerous or harmful for ourselves, our mental health, our reputation, or our loved ones, we'll step back. We're the kings and queens of self-care. While we know the importance of sacrifice, we also know that we shouldn't have to sacrifice what we love in every situation.

5. We're not cold. Well, at least not to everyone.

We all have a soft side–we just don't show it. If we don't trust you, we'll never become vulnerable around you. But get close enough to us and we'll become the most fiercely loving and affectionate person you know. There's a reason Slytherins and Hufflepuffs make such good friends, and it has everything to do with love and loyalty.

You'll find that if you let the prejudices against Slytherin House go, we'll become some of your greatest friends in life. We'll help you break off toxic relationships that are bad for you, encourage you to go after that promotion you absolutely deserve and help you find the perfect dark lipstick shade for you, all in the same day.