Hate in Politics

We Need To Stop The Hate In Our Country And Get Back To Our Morals

Between recent mass shootings and divisive politics, there's a lot of hate in the air.

118

In the wake of the newest mass shooting, this time at a Jewish Synagogue, people are feeling a sense of horror with America. To imagine being gunned down simply because of your religious beliefs is an idea that many believed were far in the past. With the loss of 11 lives, and the Pittsburgh shooting marking the 294th shooting of 2018, it is hard not to feel disenfranchised from the government supposedly protecting us or our neighbors who may have differing beliefs.

This is not just a national affair either. In Louisville, Kentucky, two African Americans were killed in a Kroger by a gunman who allegedly said racist remarks during the attack, and had attempted to go to an African-American church before going to the Kroger.

Hatred seems to be everywhere. Whether from these nightmarish shootings, or the President wanting to end birthright citizenship, it is easy for anyone who belongs to a minority (or even for those who don't!) to feel like they do not belong in America anymore.

So, how do we stop the hate?

As cheesy as it may sound, it truly does start with every single person looking within themselves. Are there stereotypes that you continue to hold, but may not want to admit to? Do you find yourself treating others differently because of a characteristic, like their race, sexuality, ethnicity, or religion?

It can be easy to continue to hold negative ideas about a group of people if you know nothing about them, so educate yourself! Nowadays with the Internet, you can learn more about others' rich cultures, histories, and the problems they face within their community by just clicking on a Buzzfeed video (they are good for procrastinating too). It is normal to struggle with ridding yourself of prejudices because of the society that we live in, but this should not be the norm.

Once you have found within yourself the empathy and love, pass it on to others. It is important to be kind to one another, but it is just as important to be accountable of one another.

If your friend makes a racist joke, or they use a derogatory slur, call them out and get other friends' to side with you. With the divisive nature of politics, it is easy for people to justify their words or actions with a "That's just my opinion!" or an "It's fine if we disagree!" but when the issues revolve around human rights and every single person being treated with the respect of a human being, that is not true anymore.

If you want to stop the hate even further, make sure you have your voice heard! Advocate for the voiceless, protest for the problems and give to those who need a helping hand. Right now, the Jewish community is suffering because of this recent tragedy, so reach out to those you know and validate them. Tell them that you are there for them. Better yet, tell everyone you know, even if they are gay, Hispanic, Muslim, or any other difference, that you will support them. You may need these people in your corner, just like they need you.

To stop the hate, we need to become better civically engaged. By not voting, you are displaying to others that you do not care enough about the issues facing our country to learn. No matter who you vote for, it is important to exercise your right to do so.

In the end, hatred boils down to fear. The fear of being different, the fear of losing power, the fear of being vulnerable.

We all have fears right now, and now more than ever, we have to come together. So get out there; spread the love.