Hashtag Single

Hashtag Single

It's basically a hashtag, don't let it define you.

64
Hashtag Single

I've been single for nearly all of my almost 20 years of existence. With very few men ever entering into my life, too many times I am seen as outside the social norm. As my friends were asked to high school homecoming and prom I found myself alone. Formals went by and I still went stag without a date. Often I had this idea that someday a guy would notice me and suddenly it would be a love at first site situation. I had been a big believer in soul mates and happily ever afters. However, that dream was broken as I undertook my first relationship and realized dating was not a fairytale as I had hoped it would be.

Dating and relationships are not something that comes as easily to me as it does for some, like my sister for instance. She is one of those girls who always has a boyfriend. But, what makes her so different then me? I mean we are related after all and contain similar genetics.

There's all the common sayings from 'I'm too picky' or 'the right one will come in time', but honestly I, and so many other single girls out there, are tired of hearing all this. It becomes a constant noise in the background. From people saying 'you're too pretty, why don't you have a boyfriend?' to 'I think you're too good for everyone' or even 'why aren't you dating? It'd be good for you' becomes old quickly. Just as when Beyonce's song Single Ladies comes on and everyone expects you to dance to it, it can take away all the fun as it's pointed out that you are single and this song must define you and further designates your singleness.

Since when is it wrong to be single? Being single is not a disease, nor does it mean you are desperate or lonely (not in the least, never let anyone tell you otherwise). In fact, I personally enjoy being single. It gives you the freedom to simply be you and not settle. Knowing who you are and pursuing your dreams are all a part of living life. I'm not saying you can't still do this in a relationship, but I'm not saying you can either. It honestly depends on the relationship, whether it is a good one or not.

Don't let being single define you for I don't want that to define me either. Being single really doesn't mean anything other than the dictionary definition. Don't say I'm single just say you're you. In the long run that's all that truly matters. If you don't want to be defined by your relationship status 'single,' share this post on social media. Don't let your relationship define you, you define yourself. For single is merely a word and you are the only one who can give it power over you.