Harry Potter Prepared Me For College

9 ¾ Ways That 'Harry Potter' Prepared Me For College

We could all have been killed — or worse, expelled.

72

Loving "Harry Potter" went from something people made fun of, to a personality trait, and now a distant memory that all Potterheads can look back on fondly. After re-reading a few of the books I didn't realize at the time that each book was jammed packed with lessons that every kid should know and every adult should remember. These lessons can be taken with a pinch of salt and can be twisted into lessons that every college kid should keep close to heart.

1. You will have at least one teacher that hates you for no reason 

Be prepared to try your hardest only to feel like they hate you for no reason...maybe it's because you have your mother's eyes.

2. Making a close group of friends will save your life...more than once 

Having only two friends isn't a bad thing people! They will pick you up when you're down and keep you safe from devil's snare. As long as one of them has unruly hair and the other has too many freckles to count.

3. Studying hard is something that should be praised not looked down upon 

Even if you spend your time in the restricted section, being full of knowledge is not something to shy away from. You never know it can come in handy. And a wise witch once said, "Luck can only get you so far."

4. If you don't know the answer you should turn to your friends 

Never underestimate the power of friendship. The people you meet on your first day might be the ones with you until the end, giving unwanted advice and jokes all along the way.

5. People are still prejudice, even as adults  

As a kid growing up, you don't think that anyone is not equal to you. Until you realize where the prejudices come from. The parents of students surrounding you have influenced your peers their whole lives. Trying to reason with them isn't going to get you very far, might as well just sock 'em.

6. You can do anything if you have enough courage and heart 

Now it wasn't Harry, or Ron, or even Hermione that taught me this. It was Dobby. Dobby was risking his life day in and day out when he was not free to try and protect Harry. In the end, he even gave himself up for Harry. All Dobby wanted was to be free, and with that freedom bloomed a beautiful bravery that even Godric Gryffindor would be proud of.

7. Don't judge anyone by their character 

Many people changed throughout the series. Over the years some grew more mature while others cough, Draco, cough, kept up their horrible attitudes. Luna on the other hand kept her head up and her wit strong as she fought with her heart and stayed true to herself. Also, she was never crazy, you were just as sane as she was.

8. Sometimes you don't realize how much you love something until it goes 

One of the most heartbreaking scenes was having to say goodbye to Hedwig, and if you disagree then you are just incorrect. Saying goodbye to a friend that has been there for you when no one else was is one of the hardest things to do, but when they are gone you have a new sense of the purpose of friendship and love.

9. Heartbreak of any degree is just apart of growing up 

Saying goodbye to someone you love is devastating. Watching and having no choice of someone leaving is even worse. Harry had gone through so much that by the end of the series I was surprised he wasn't locked away in an asylum. But Potter knew that everything happened for a reason and without saying goodbye to something he could never say hello to his future.

10. Every character grew up and evolved 

If you read the books you had the anticipation of what happened on the next page. As you and the characters matured, you were met with choices. Of what house to live in, who to surround yourself with, and if at the end of the day who your family was. Harry Potter taught me more than I could think of, but by the end of the day, he taught me that with a little determination and butterbeer you can control your destiny.