7 Quotes From The 7 Harry Potter Books Every Fan Should Recognize

To give you inspiration, make you laugh, or just show how amazing J.K. Rowling is as a writer.

2408
Jessica Fadel on Unsplash

If you don’t know what Harry Potter is shame on you. If you’ve been living under a rock for the past ten years, I might forgive you for not understanding the inspiration behind this list. Harry Potter has become an iconic part of society or life for many fans of the series.

J.K. Rowling, the author of these books, has written an epic story of love, loss, triumph, angst, anger, sadness, happiness, success, and every other emotion available to humankind. She is the queen of writing and if you don’t believe me, check out these amazing quotes from the Harry Potter books.

1. From “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” (aka “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” in the USA)

Hagrid Meeting Harry:

“You're a wizard, Harry.”

Dumbledore on Singing the Hogwarts School Song:

“Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!”

The Start of The Golden Trio:

“There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.”

2. From “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"

Mrs. Weasley’s Advice:

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brain."

Dumbledore’s Advice:

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Ron Weasley vs. The Whomping Willow Tree:

“Of all the trees we could've hit, we had to get one that hits back.”

3. From “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban”

Dumbledore’s Advice on Staying Positive in Dark Times:

“But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

The Story of Harry’s Life:

“'I'm not going to be murdered,' Harry said out loud.
'That's the spirit, dear,' said his mirror sleepily.”

Harry Telling The Dursleys About Sirius Black:

“He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with my news...check if I'm happy...”

4. From “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire”

Hagrid on Being Different:

“I am what I am, an’ I’m not ashamed. 'Never be ashamed,’ my ol’ dad used ter say, ‘there’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth botherin’ with.”

Sirius Black’s Advice:

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fred and George on Percy’s Sense of Humor:

“Percy wouldn't notice a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing one of Dobby's hats.”

5. From “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix”

Harry’s Epic Sass:

“Why were you lurking under our window?"
"Yes - yes, good point, Petunia! What were you doing under our windows, boy?"
"Listening to the news," said Harry in a resigned voice.
His aunt and uncle exchanged looks of outrage.
"Listening to the news! Again?"
"Well, it changes every day, you see," said Harry.”

Hermione’s Thoughts on Ron’s Emotions:

"Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have.”

Fred and George About Umbridge:

"Give her hell from us, Peeves!"

Professor McGonagall’s Opinion on Harry Standing Up to Umbridge:

“Is it true that you shouted at Professor Umbridge?"
"Yes."
"You called her a liar?"
"Yes."
"You told her He Who Must Not Be Named is back?"
"Yes."
"Have a biscuit, Potter.”

When Harry Finally Loses His Cool (After Sirius’ Death):

“I DON'T CARE!" Harry yelled at them, snatching up a lunascope and throwing it into the fireplace. "I'VE HAD ENOUGH, I'VE SEEN ENOUGH, I WANT OUT, I WANT IT TO END, I DON'T CARE ANYMORE!"
"You do care," said Dumbledore. He had not flinched or made a single move to stop Harry demolishing his office. His expression was calm, almost detached. "You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it.”

6. From “Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince”

Dumbledore’s Faith in Harry:

"I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”

Harry’s Sass Meets Professor Snape:

“Do you remember me telling you we are practicing nonverbal spells, Potter?”
“Yes,” said Harry stiffly.
“Yes, sir.”
“There’s no need to call me ‘sir,’ Professor.”

Ginny’s Advice:

“The thing about growing up with Fred and George," said Ginny thoughtfully, "is that you sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.”

7. From “Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows”

When Harry Pretended to be Dead:

Hidden beneath the Invisibility Cloak, Harry cast a Shield Charm between Neville
and Voldemort before the latter could raise his stamps of the battling giants, Hagrid's yell came loudest of all.
"HARRY!" Hagrid shouted. "HARRY - WHERE'S HARRY?"
Chaos reigned.

Snape’s Redemption (He Has A Heart):

From the tip of his wand burst the silver doe. She landed on the office floor,
bounded once across the office, and soared out of the window. Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
“After all this time?”
“Always,” said Snape.

Narcissa’s Reprieve:

"He is dead!” Narcissa Malfoy called to the watchers.

Sticking with Harry:

A chilly breeze that seemed to emanate from the heart of the forest lifted the hair
at Harry’s brow. He knew that they would not tell him to go, that it would have to be his decision.
“You’ll stay with me?”
“Until the very end,” said James.

So, there’s my list where the magic of Harry Potter shines through.

What quotes do you think are the best from the series?

Did I include all your favorites? If not, which quotes would you have included that I didn’t have room for?