staying fit during college

How Hard Is It To ACTUALLY Stay Fit During Your First Year Of College?

Super hard, we assume...

442

Between the hustle of starting classes, adjusting to a new lifestyle, and being surrounded by constant urges to party it may seem close to impossible to stay fit, or even start a fitness journey in college. We've all been there: the harsh reality of trying to start to "diet" and dragging yourself to the gym. However, it doesn't have to be this way.

There are tons of healthy options on campus, but students choose to ignore them. Starting this Fall, Acai Bowls will be added to the infamous Dagger John's dining location. There is also a salad and wrap station in the Marketplace, salad options at Cosi, and a multitude of different breakfast options to cure your hunger. Stop reaching for those sugary cereals in the cafeteria and start opting for some fruit and eggs. If you try and implement at least one healthy meal a day, you're on the right track!

We are all guilty of snacking. Whether it be a late night treat, or just a snack before class, snacks are essential to the college lifestyle, and are often what cause the "Freshman 15." Not to fear, the freshman 15 can stay far away if you incorporate healthy snacks into your daily routine. The Pod Market has a variety of different fruit as well as granola, and healthy alternatives to chips. Students have to be mindful to choose these options over the chips and candy that are easily accessible on campus.

Now that we've got the hard part out of the way, nutrition, let's move on to exercise. All fitness gurus will give out one necessary tip: Find something that you love! Not everyone is going to like lifting heavy weights, intense cardio or yoga. It takes some trial and error to find something you enjoy thoroughly, and that is okay! Fordham offers a variety of different classes in the fitness center to suit almost everybody's needs. If you prefer to go without the aid of a class, maybe find a buddy who can lead through workouts together until you are ready to go solo. This is a learning process for everyone, and it takes a lot of patience.

The gym doesn't have to be this torture chamber that everyone sets it out to be. There's a constant stigma that everyone there is out to judge you! This isn't true. As a beginner, it may sound a bit intimidating, but every student who has put aside time for the gym in their day is surely not going to spend their time judging you. The gym is meant for personal progress and dedication, nothing less. Stop stressing about it. Trust me, it will be fine!

Furthermore, it's detrimental to get into a routine and stick to it. Try and find a time of day that you're motivated. For me, it's before class in the morning. I like getting a head start on my day by going to the gym followed by a relaxing morning before the hectic school and work schedule kicks in. For some, it's at night, to release all of the stress and tension that was built up during the day.

Remember not to be so harsh on yourself. After all, it's all about balance. It's okay to treat yourself, and some people don't realize that. Stop calling this a diet, and start getting used to naming it a lifestyle. Nourishing your body with whole foods and exercising frequently will only help you flourish in the long run. You only get one body, one temple; so start learning how to take care of it now!