Being A Millennial Is Actually Really Hard

It's not as easy as it seems.

84

I read somewhere that part of the reason why my generation is so dissatisfied with life is that we were raised with all these unrealistic expectations that we can now see are very difficult to obtain. We were told from a young age that we could be whatever we wanted to be, and we could have big families and big houses.

Now that we've matured, we see just how much of a lie that was. We graduated high school and were pushed into college. We're part of the ways through and now we're being told, "Hey, this isn't enough. Do more! Go further!"

What do you mean go further?! We're at a point now where a bachelor's degree is almost equivalent to a high school degree and there are UNPAID INTERNSHIPS that require you to have a bachelor's degree! Um, excuse me?

We wanted to have a big house with a big yard and a fancy car, all by the age of 25. We're currently in our early twenties and have three roommates and take the train or bus everywhere we go. We can't afford new cars.

College tuition is adding up and there's going to be some debts to pay. We have to consider where we're going to go after we graduate. More school? Get a job? Are we going to go back home to live with our parents or try to find a place somewhere else? How many roommates?

All of these things are so stressful and instead of acknowledging this massive amount of stress on millennials, people choose to write articles about how we're killing the diamond business or aren't having enough kids. What people don't understand is that we can't even take care of ourselves.

There's this massive financial burden on our shoulders and we're expected to just deal with it, and work for what we want as every other generation has before us. That's easy to say though, especially because back in the day, college didn't cost an arm and a leg. Textbooks weren't almost a grand. Room and board were affordable and not considered a luxury.

Let's not forget everything that's happening in the world around us! There are so many hungry and homeless people, and we're upset about how unfair people are being treated. We're upset about global warming and how it's been brushed off for so long, that now it's nearly impossible to fix.

So, all of these things are happening in the world around us and we feel discouraged in every which way, and we don't know what to do. Yet someone will still choose to write about how we're killing the diamond business. Wow.

To all millennials: things are so hard, and we've grown up with these expectations about life that turned out to be pretty much lies. However, attaining our dreams is not something that is totally out of reach. Helping to fix the planet isn't hopeless. We can still put our best foot forward and try to do our best even though we've been dealt the short end of the stick.