Happy Father's Day from your girlfriend's daughter
Parents

Happy Father's Day To My Mom's Boyfriend

You might not be my real dad, but you're a pretty great stand in.

1419

Dear Mike,

You've been dating my mom for less than a year, but it feels like so much more than that in the best way. You make her smile, and, bad jokes aside, you're a great guy. You two had been dating for less than a month and already you were willing to go to my swim meets, band concerts, and banquets. Your own daughter had swum before, so I was shocked you were willing to drive all over Ohio to watch someone else's kid swim for a few minutes out of the entire day.

I know I pretty much ignored you for the first couple months you were dating my mom, but you learned why I didn't really want another dad in my life soon after I realized you were nothing like my real one. Where he was dismissive and never really expressed any interest in getting to know me as a person, you are always willing to talk to me about anything, and you treat me like you would your own kid, and I can't thank you enough for that.

You are the kind of guy I wish my dad had been for me when I was growing up. In a few short months you've seen me break a school record, helped take photos for my senior prom, sat through a handful of banquets, and watched me graduate high school. Thank you for the Chinese food, the bad jokes, and cards with puns that make me cringe.

We leave for vacation in a week, and I'm so excited that you and your daughter are coming with us. We're definitely going to come home with a lot of unforgettable memories. I can't thank you enough for how incredibly happy you make my mom. Your jokes could use some improvement, but I'm so glad you came into our lives, and I couldn't imagine it without you.

And to all the people out there who have sucky dads, screw them. You don't need that negativity in your life, and if they don't care they don't deserve to see an incredible person like you flourish. I spent too long trying to prove myself to a jerk whose approval I will never win. Blood doesn't define your family, you do.

Sincerely,

Me