The Handmaid's Tale Season 3 Predictions

'The Handmaid's Tale' Season 3: Thoughts And Predictions

"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum."

559
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJTonrzXTJs

If you've been keeping up with this season of "The Handmaid's Tale" you know that it has been a wild ride, and the season finale did not disappoint. We were given a lot of character and plot development, but also left with a lot of unanswered questions. The biggest of these questions: what happens next?

For a quick refresher: in the aftermath of Eden's execution, Offred finds a Bible filled with notes and brings it to Serena, who basically shrugs it off. After Eden's father comes to the house and reveals that he's the one who turned her in, Serena and Offred realize that girls aren't even safe with their own families in Gilead. Serena gets the wives to ban together to propose to the council that boys and girls should be able to learn to read the Bible and Serena reads from Eden's Bible (which, if you forgot, is a big no-no for women). This leads to her having her pinky chopped off. Emily stabs Aunt Lydia and her new commander takes her in the car, meanwhile Offred sees a house catches fire across the street from the Waterford's. Surprise! They're escaping. Serena lets Offred take the baby but Offred hands her off to Emily and stays behind.

So there's a lot to unravel from here: why did Offred stay? What's going to happen to Serena? Will Emily and baby Nichole make it out of Gilead? I have a few guesses as to where this may be going.

Before Offred leaves the baby with Emily, she shows her a picture of her daughter, Hannah, and says that the baby may meet her one day, then corrects herself to say she will meet her one day. We can assume that this means she's staying behind to get Hannah back and somehow get her to Canada. But that leads us to another problem: where does she start? She can't go back to the Waterford's house because everyone knows she took the baby. She basically can't go anywhere in Gilead without a swift trip to the gallows. She'll probably have to hide out somewhere, like the house that she met Hannah in, while she figures out where her daughter is living and a way to get her out of there. I image this will make for a lot of intense close-calls of getting caught, and possibly trying to meet up with Nick to get information (if he's still alive).

Serena was basically an accomplice to this mission so there's a possibility of her getting in trouble if anyone finds out. However, Serena is a lot smarter than her husband so I doubt she'll let herself get caught betraying Gilead. Speaking of her husband: if he isn't gone by the end of the next season, I will be severely disappointed.

I feel as if Emily and the baby won't make it out of Gilead at first but will somehow get to Canada eventually. The writers will definitely want some tension building around that situation. I also think that Emily will find Luke somehow, since we haven't had an update on him in a while, and that will re-spark his interest in trying to save her.

Since there is no book to tell us what happens after season one, let alone season two, it's hard to know what direction "the Handmaid's Tale" will be taking. Knowing this show, next season will likely be even more intense than the first two seasons. We can make all of the predictions we want, but Gilead is constantly finding new ways to shock us so there is no telling what will go on in season three.