Hamilton Philadelphia Review

Hamilton Philadelphia Review

A Great "Story for Tonight"

20

Last Thrusday, November 7, 2019, I was lucky enough to see the hit Broadway sensation by Lin-Manuel Miranda, "Hamilton." This up-beat, rap and jazzy spectacle graced the stage in the Forest Theatre on Walnut St on a brisk and rainy weeknight. For a Thursday night, there were many that attended the showing because of the countless awards and recognition the musical has earned.

In middle school and early high school, I was not wow-ed over with Hamilton fever like millions were. I originally thought of Hamilton as overrated, over-hyped and only an above average musical. Fast forward 5 years later, I have changed my mind.

In high school, I got involved in musical theater through the band. Since I was the lead trumpet player, I was able to play for 3 school shows from junior and senior year, including My Fair Lady, Little Mermaid and Sister Act. After experiencing high school level musical productions, I became more interested in musicals. My friends and I would go to the other nearby high schools' shows to watch out friends who had parts in their performances. Some of my favorite shows I was able to see were Music Man, Drowsy Chaperone, and Newsies.

Some of my friends have been involved in the theater arts for a long time, so they suggested me to check out Hamilton. After listening to it, I was surprised by how fast paced, jazzy, and modern the music felt for a story about the revolutionary period of American history. Miranda's take on Alexander Hamilton's not well-known life (before the creation of the musical) helped the youth and young adults of America learn about a founding father in a fun and creative style.

Since most of you reading know most of the musical, or at least what it is about, I won't bore you with a detailed review of the whole musical, as I will point out high lights.

With 46 songs, Hamilton boasts an impressive track with each one telling its own story, while allowing each one to flow easily from one to the next. Some of my favorites include My Shot, Non-Stop and Room Where It Happened, due to their unique tempos, character solos, and choreography. The show has a very fast paced feel due to there being no actual dialogue between numbers.

This show has truly changed how people view a very important figure in American history, as well as view the growing Broadway scene.