Hamilton Continues To Blow Us All Away

Hamilton Continues To Blow Us All Away

Broadway hit breaks records with Tony nominations

womenwriteaboutcomics.com
86

If by now you haven’t heard of Hamilton the Musical, you must live under a rock. The musical about the rise to fame of founding father Alexander Hamilton has taken Broadway – and the internet – by storm. The musical came out in 2015, and this year alone it has won several awards including Best Musical Theater Album, the Frederick Loewe Award for Dramatic Composition, a Pulitzer Prize for Drama, and the award for Drama Inspired by American History. Thanks to the genius of Lin Manuel Miranda, the main writer and lyricist of the musical, Hamilton has left its imprint on the world in more ways than one. The U.S. Department of the Treasury originally had plans to replace Alexander Hamilton on the $10 bill with a woman, but because the musical was such a booming success, they decided to leave the bill as it is. (Like, how do you remove the first U.S. Secretary of the Treasury from American money? It just doesn’t make sense.) Hamilton continues to make history with a whopping 16 Tony Award Nominations.

The nominees are:

Best Musical – Hamilton

Best Book of a Musical

Best Original Score

If

you have any doubts about exactly how good the score is, here is a link to the

songs. You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL--MK66faFd...

Best Lead Actor in a Musical

Leslie Odom Jr. as Aaron Burr Lin Manuel Miranda as Alexander Hamilton

Best Lead Actress in a Musical

Phillipa Soo as Elizabeth "Eliza" Schuyler Hamilton

Best Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical

Jonathan Groff as King George III, Daveed Diggs as Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson, Christopher Jackson as George Washington

Best Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical

Renée Elise Goldsberry as Angelica Schuyler Church

Best Scenic Design of a Musical

Best Costume Design of a Musical

Best Lighting Design of a Musical

Best Direction of a Musical

Best Choreography

Best Orchestrations

While simultaneously redefining squad goals (because face it, who doesn't want a squad like this, right?)

Hamilton teaches us one thing: in order to achieve anything great, you have to seize the moment and stay in it. Don’t wait for it, and definitely do not throw away your shot.