Hamilton Changed My Life For The Better

Hamilton Changed My Life For The Better

Sometimes a certain famous musical can be exactly what you need in life.

236
Hamilton Changed My Life For The Better
NY Times

Hamilton is probably the most popular musical of recent history. It's full of incredible music, a great and informative story line, and was created by a true Renaissance man and genius. I found Hamilton through my younger sister, who's been a fan for so long now that she can sing and rap every single one of the songs without any hesitation. Though my love of this musical is more recent, I can honestly say that Hamilton has changed my life. Never before has a musical affected me in a way that this one has. I have found hope, inspiration, and happiness through the songs that Lin Manuel Miranda wrote, and I couldn't be more grateful.

Whenever I'm feeling down, Hamilton lifts me up. I listen to the songs when I write. I listen to the songs when I run. I listened to them on the airplane as I had a panic attack. I listen to them when I'm sad and missing my fiancee and I need something familiar to make me feel ok again. I didn't realize how badly I needed to listen to Hamilton today until I turned it on and immediately felt overcome by emotion. Hamilton has become like a friend to me, the story of a man who made mistakes, but truly had a good heart and wanted to do the best he could for his country. Each character is so beautiful and so inspiring in their own ways, and they have become the comfort I need in my life.

Furthermore, Lin Manuel Miranda's genius has inspired me greatly. This man wrote a musical out of a book he read, then starred in the musical as the main character. I have always been struck and inspired by genius, and truly Lin Manuel Miranda is goals. To be so talented and so amazing with words is something that I only wish I could be, and he honestly ranks with Bob Dylan in my book of lyrical geniuses (which is saying a lot as Bob Dylan is pretty much my greatest hero of all time). There is truly amazing writing in Hamilton, and every lyric of every song inspires me to try and become a better writer.

This musical also brings me back to my childhood. I was obsessed with the revolutionary war as a kid (I had a crush on George Washington...). I used to love history so much until I got older and it got harder and I fell more in love with English and writing than with my history classes. However, this musical combines my childhood love of history with my current love of writing. It makes me want to go back into my phase of being fascinated with a different time, a time so long ago.

I suppose this is a love letter to Hamilton. A love letter to the musical that has changed my life. Sometimes something speaks to you in a way you don't understand, and Hamilton absolutely does that for me.