Halsey's Manic Is The Album We Need For 2020

A short review of Halsey's new album, Manic

40
halsey manic
Photo by fran hogan on Unsplash

With the start of the new year, some people might feel lost or disoriented, and that's perfectly normal. For me, every January feels like I'm in a limbo, trying to figure out what to do after all the celebrations and getting back to my routine. But, this year I decided 2020 wasn't going to start off all dazed and confused. I set one goal for the whole year, to be true to myself, love me for me, and become the person I want to be.

And with just my luck, Halsey, the fearless anti-pop star, released her third album, "Manic," a couple of days ago. I don't know about you, but some albums just speak to my soul, especially when I'm going through things. Here's a couple of reasons why I loved "Manic," and why you need to hear it too.

(EIC 1/23) Halsey's Manic Is The Album We Need For 2020

1. Ashley

Halsey opens up "Manic" with "Ashley," which is her real name. This is suppose to be an introduction to herself; raw, honest and not holding back. In her last two albums, Halsey was a character, but now she opens up to fans about herself, and this track acts as a soft goodbye to Halsey (for now). I personally love this song because Halsey tells us she's always changing and we should be okay with that. I like the idea that I can always change to whoever I want to be. I'm not attached to a persona.

2. clementine

"clementine" gives me the feeling of looking at the world through a child's eyes. The song is very child-like and makes me feel independent from the world. I feel full of wonder when listening to the chorus, which is suppose to represent Halsey and Ashley singing together. I just wish I could shout "I don't need anyone!" from my apartment's rooftop.

3. Graveyard

Another favorite track, this song talks about loving a person who's mentally in a bad place, and loving them so much you'd go to the darkest parts with them. It teaches us that we should have limits with our love when we know it can put us in a bad place, and learning to care for ourselves too. You can love someone so deeply, but that won't solve someone else's problems.

4. You should be sad

This is a breakup song. Halsey opens up about a failed relationship she's glad she's out of, and she has enough respect for herself to know she's not the one who lost. This track teaches us about self-value and that knowing your worth can save you from an unhealthy relationship. Halsey's sad, but her ex should be devasted because he lost her.

5. Forever... (is a long time)

Okay, I keep saying I have favorites, but I can't stop listening to this song! I can definitely relate to this one because it lets us feel the stages of falling in love...almost. Halsey talks about how she's opening up, and going from being sarcastic and mean to accepting and honest. She's falling in love with someone who makes her feel better about herself, someone who is strong and good. However, the song takes a turn when promises are broken and Halsey messes up again. The relationship was doomed from the start because she can't imagine anyone loving her.

6. Dominic's Interlude

I can listen to this song forever because it sounds so dreamy. Dominic Fike sings to remind Halsey that she's more than she thinks. It's almost like an older brother telling you, you deserve better! "Talk to your man, tell him he's got bad news coming!" is advice for Halsey to breakup with her lover because he doesn't understand or loves her properly. If you need a boost of self-confidence, this is it for you.

7. I HATE EVERYBODY

If you haven't noticed, this is the third song of a trio (Forever.../Dominic's Interlude/I HATE EVERYBODY). This is Halsey trying to find self-acceptance, but it's hard when you're a young pop star with insecurities. Instead of writing about another relationship, Halsey concentrates on herself. She realizes that the only reason why she falls in love with people who may not love her back is because she wants to learn how to love herself. I learned that I shouldn't waste time chasing someone who I think can make me feel good.

8. 3am

Well, forget about the last song, Halsey throws everything out the window. This is when she knows she's insecure and doesn't care who's watching, she can't stand being alone so she's willing to take anyone home with her. She's feeling reckless and lonely, but there's nothing wrong with that if she's beside someone else, right?

9. Without Me

Do I need to explain this one? You've probably heard it on the radio a dozen times! This track is the perfect song to listen to when going through a breakup. Halsey tells a story of someone who took advantage of her and now is at the top of their game, without needing her anymore. What I learned from this song is that people will come into your life and take from you until you're all used up and there's nothing left to take. But, you'll survive.

10. Finally // beautiful stranger

Such a beautiful love song. This is all about falling in love but not wanting to admit it because of all the times you've been hurt. But the love is so strong and deep that you have no choice but to take it all in. It feels liberating falling in love knowing that this person might be the one.

11. Alanis' Interlude

The gay anthem from "Manic!" Halsey is very private about her relationship with women, but she doesn't hold back in this track. Without mentioning names or specifics, she tells of a loved-filled affair with a woman, making us feel dizzy and seductive. As she sings, love is love, and that's all that matters.

12. killing boys

This track begins with a bit from "Jennifer's Body" and refers to other films, like "Kill Bill," to refer that after a breakup, women can be strong as hell. Halsey feels frustrated about her past relationship, almost like in "You should be sad," but feels independent and has had enough with her ex. I'm glad this song was put on the album because it reminds me of "Nightmare," another angry song by Halsey that didn't make it to "Manic."

13. SUGA's Interlude

Now, I don't know much about K-Pop or BTS, but this is so calming and beautiful to listen to. It's very dreamy and shows Halsey's relationship with music and her pop star life. She can't tell if she wants it all, or if she's willing to give it all up for a normal life. But she can't live without making art, and so she's between both worlds.

14. More

This song broke my heart the first time I heard it. Halsey has talked about miscarriages and her struggle with endometriosis, but she opens up about the one thing she hopes she can one day have, a child. She sings with longing and hope, talking about staring at baby clothes and a face on an ultrasound, but nothing coming from it. However, she gets the news that one day she will be able to create life of her own, and she sings about how she loves it more everyday.

15. Still Learning

Halsey is... still learning to love herself. Just like most of us, she's insecure and paranoid about herself, despite her grand success. Throughout the song she reflects on herself and offers apologies to people she's hurt or let down. It's almost comforting to know that celebrities we look up to can feel just like us. "Still Learning" is a reminder that it's okay to take time to love yourself.

16. 929

"929" represents Halsey's birthday, September 29. This song is almost like a rant, Halsey going on about her thoughts and confessions to family and friends. She might expose a lot of her faults, but it's more of Halsey forgiving herself and finding peace within her. I thought the end was funny, how she confesses that she's a liar because she wanted to sound cool.

You can listen to "Manic" on all music streaming services.