The Hallway To Your Life Is In Your Hands

You have more power than you think

37

You are in a hallway that is completely gray, there are cobwebs lining the hallway and there is a chill that forms in the walls. The sound of every one of your steps creak as you walk. Across the hall is a wooden door that has a small light soaking through the bottom. You walk closer to that door, already feeling the warmth on your face. You open the door with a creak to see a beautiful meadow out in front of you.

There are waterfalls flowing with a loud roar and the sound of birds chirping is being drowned out. The fresh air hits you with one sudden sweep and you can relax and leave the chill that is touching your back behind you. Through the meadow you walk and take in all the beauty around you. Your heart is filled with happiness and your brain is blank. For once you can fully appreciate the beauty of nature around you and you are content.

As you walk through the woods the sound of the waterfall begins to fade and the birds become silent. The air becomes cold and the rustling of the leaves begin to fill your ears. You look over to see shadows following behind you. They mock you, saying the worse things. Instead, your heart feels broken and your brain is agreeing with the words that the shadows are saying. You look around for a way out but see nothing but dark woods and muddy grounds. So, you break for it and begin to run and as you do the mud covers your entire body as you tread through. The branches entangle you and try to hold you down but you push and push through. Once everything seems hopeless you see a light.

The light is in the shape of a woman who is telling you to follow him. Her face is kind and her hair flows perfectly in the wind. She is nothing but light and sparkles. You get up and you run towards her. With her, you run through those woods and to a hill. At the hill, she wishes you luck and heads on her way. You look down to see the steep hill and nothing but water at the end.

You have two choices: take a leap of faith and fall or go back. You think of the woods and it brings a chill down your spine and so, you decide to leap. For a while you free fall but it feels more like flying as you watch the hill get smaller and smaller. The hairs on your arms and neck stand up due to the thrill and the coldness of the wind. Then finally, you hit the water and you let yourself soak in it for a while. You feel the coldness from the water and the warmth of the sun at the same time. As you lift up from the water, you have reached a beach. A beach that is so peaceful and warm that for a moment your heart feels healed and you are free.

This simulation may seem strange and more like an adventure but it has a bigger meaning...

Your hallway is your nightmare,

your meadow is your dreams,

your shadows are your bullies,

and your savior is your loved ones.

The hill is your obstacle,

the woods is your past,

and jumping the hill is letting go and moving on.

Your beach is your freedom.

You have more power than you think.