My Favorite Horror Franchise: Halloween Ranked Best To Worst

My Favorite Horror Franchise, 'Halloween,' Ranked Best To Worst

Was that the boogeyman?

111
https://twitter.com/jamieleecurtis/status/986967706392969216

The brand new "Halloween" film set to release on October 19th, a direct sequel to the original 1978 classic. I'm definitely on the hype train for this new horror flick, and you should be too!

In celebration, I'm ranking the Halloween films best to worst! Be sure to share this article and chime in with what you think the best one is!

1. "Halloween" (1978)

What can one say to truly express the genius of the original "Halloween?" John Carpenter's masterpiece is a fully complete film, introducing new ideas, an excellent score and characters you actually care for. I recommend this film regularly to even non-horror fans, and I consider it to be a classic film in general.

2. "Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers" (1988)

I'll probably receive some flack for ranking "Return" this high, but I just have a nostalgic attachment to it. I specifically remember watching this movie in 7th grade after school and just being glued to the screen. I really thought the writing in this one wasn't too bad, and ended with one of my favorite horror twists of all time. It's a bit more gory and corny that its predecessors, but I think that's one of its most redeeming qualities.

3. "Halloween II" (1981)

An IMMEDIATE sequel to the original, "Halloween II" does everything that the first one did right, but ramps up the gore tremendously. While not quite as suspenseful as the original (which is kind of impossible,) it still keeps you on the edge of your seat. I think the thing I like most about this one is the more electronic score as opposed to the first one.

4. "Halloween III: Season of the Witch" (1982)

"Season" might be one of the most underrated films of all time. Many people decided to not even give this flick a chance due to its lack of Michael Myers, but still, it's an interested story no doubt. People should really give this film a chance, as it boasts a great original Carpenter score and some great acting. Not just that, but it's downright shocking. Silverrr shamrock.

5. "Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers" (1989)

What is up with that mask? Okay, I really didn't care for this one a whole lot, but I think I place it here because it still carries a lot of afterschool nostalgic value. I honestly disagree completely with where the writers took this story, making Jamie a mute and whatnot, but at least it worked relatively well. It's not unwatchable by any means.

6. "H20: Twenty Years Later" (1998)

While I felt this film was completely unnecessary (and it technically was, it was only made so Jaime Lee Curtis could fulfill her contract obligation to the franchise), it definitely has it's merits. "H20" banishes some of the horror movie cliches and comes to an abrupt ending that nobody was expecting. Not an amazing film by any means, but decent entertainment, for sure.

7. "Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers" (1995)

I bet you didn't know Paul Rudd was in a Halloween movie. After a six year Michael Myers hiatus, they brought us this, and it was kind of atrocious. Watchable, but atrocious. There is a Director's Cut that has it's own merits, but is equally as atrocious. It's a corny slasher that fulfills its purpose.

8. "Halloween: Resurrection" (2002)

"Resurrection" ruined the surprisingly good movie that was "H20." If Busta Rhymes saying "Trick uh treat, m'fer" to Michael Myers isn't a big enough clue that this movie kinda sucks, I don't know what is. When this one comes on during the marathon, I switch the channel.

9. "Halloween" (2007)

Yes, those Rob Zombie remakes are dead last, and I feel like, if you've seen them, you know why. While Zombie definitely succeeds in bringing his own taste to the franchise, I'm not so sure that it was a good thing. There's a lot of annoying screaming, needless gore, and a lot of puzzling directing choices. I try to stay far away from this one.

10. "Halloween II" (2009)

Oh man, what can I even say about the second Rob Zombie Halloween flick? I think the tipping point for me was Michael screaming "DIE" as he plunges a knife into someone. That, and for some reason there are a lot of horses and weird visions and whatnot. Stay farther away.