Being A Kid Living In A Row Home, Meant You Had The Best Halloweens
popular

Sadly times have changed and halloween is definitely not the same as it was when I was a kid.

3284
Jess Jones-Thompson

Halloween was always a favorite holiday of mine growing up because I loved getting dressed up, and loved the free candy that lasted at least a month. Halloween has definitely changed because growing up there was maybe 4 or 5 houses a block that did not give out candy, and now I see the exact opposite. But if you got to grow up in a row home before the internet and electronics took over kids childhood, then you definitely remember Halloween the way I do.

You knew all of your neighbors, and so you often got special (larger sized) candy bars from them when showing off your costume trick-or-treating.

Dawn Keller

Some neighbors really hooked you up with treats, whether it be a larger sized bar or a few extra pieces of candy, sometimes even a specialized treat bag, you were sure to get the good stuff from your neighbors.

You actually went up to each house saying “trick-or-treat”.

Jess jones-Thompson

I would be tired of the phrase by the end of the night from saying it so much, kids now just walk up and hold out their bags.

You put effort into your costume.

Jess Jones-Thompson

You argued back and forth about what your costume would be this year, often changing your mind a few times, but you were so excited to wear it out! Again, now kids will just throw on a mask and expect the candy, without even wearing a costume.

You were prepared to be out for awhile! And the people whose houses you visited knew to be out for a few hours as well.

Jess Jones-Thompson

Trick or treaters would be out for what seemed like forever when I was growing up, houses would end up running out of candy because of how many kids came by. Today you get maybe 20 kids come by and it's all spread out instead of being consistent.

You got to take a ton of pictures with your friends and neighbors in your costumes.

Jess Jones-Thompson

Parents loved having pictures, so you met outside to take group shots before heading out to get your candy.

Once you were done trick or treating you came home and hung out with your friends outside seeing how much and what kind of candy you got this year.

Dawn Keller

Of course then you had to go in and have your parents make sure it was safe to eat, but then you had an ample amount of candy for the next few weeks.