My Epic Halloween Costume (2019)

My Epic Halloween Costume (2019)

Halloween this year was somewhat of a success.

69
My Epic Halloween Costume (2019)
Marc Anthony Brown

Wait! I know you are about to say: "But Marc Anthony it's November. Halloween is over." Well that may be true I refuse to start shifting into the Christmas spirit. Especially since it's like two months away. The whole commercialization can be an article upon itself but that's beside the point of this article. Let's think back to the spooky season of Halloween.

Now this year for Halloween I made myself promise to not have a repeat of last year. Freshman year Halloween at OU was not the ideal celebration. With everyone out and about in the mod I had no one to go around Court Street with. I was Black Panther that year, but I guess no one could see that. On top of that there were some not so nice people on Court Street that year that did not have nice things to say to me about my costume. This year I was determined to do something different. The first thing I needed to do was to get my friend group situated. The girl I like, and I couldn't hang so I defaulted to Brad. We all know Brad. I think you guys know him at least from past articles. Anyway, Brad and I would hang so that means I needed to move on to step two: change up my costume routine. Being the comic book guy it's very easy to fall into a rut and do the same thing every year in making some sort of superhero suit. I felt it was best to branch off and do something different. Then the idea came to me.

When I was a kid, I always wanted to skateboard like Tony Hawk or Max from the "Extreme Goofy Movie". My mom would never let me, and I would try to skate behind her back with my cousin's old skateboard. Needless to say, my attempts didn't end well. So I decided that it was time for me to live my childhood fantasies and become a skateboarder for all Hallow's Eve. So, I did some research. Looking at what size board I needed to get, pictures of Tony Hawk from the 90's, the prices of boards on Amazon, etc. In the process of it all I realized that I couldn't just be a skateboarder. I needed to add some spice to the mix and thus I came up with the perfect costume. I was the "Skateboarder that was hit by a car."

Does it sound brutal? Maybe. But it got people's attention. I went to YouTube to look at some blood FX tutorials. All these beauty gurus were using advance terminology and making it all seem so easy. Calculating the price, I realized that I couldn't afford all those makeup products. And I didn't want to spend the time of trying to apply latex to my face. Eventually I found a forum on some 2006 looking website that said if I used Hawaiian punch crystal light it should come out nice. And my God did it actually work. Had I known to use Hawaiian Punch years ago when I made films, I would've been having my characters drenched in it. To avoid the bright red coloring, you get you can clump up the powder and it becomes a much darker red. But the original shade of red also works for some irritation or small lacerations.

The costume turned out better than I thought! Marc Anthony Brown

When my costume arrived, I had a blast adding all the elements together. Everything came together better than I expected. The skateboard, straps, shirt, blood FX and gauzes it was awesome. I think overall, I am going to start doing more simplistic costumes for Halloweens. It was much more fun for me to be my own version of a character than just using a cheap Halloween superhero costume. On top of that I enjoyed hanging out with someone this year instead of being that lonely kid walking around court street trying to look excited for Halloween. And so, as Christmas fast approaches I wishes it passes and we can all loop around back to Halloween.