Why Hallmark Christmas Movies Are The Worst

Just call me Scrooge

600
http://cdn.crownmediadev.com/44/44/b75187be45e8bf3aaeb999d91f7e/afamilyforchristmas-0101.jpg

Hallmark Christmas movies are THE WORST. Every year, without fail, my sister and mother become OBSESSED. And I mean obsessed. They know them by title. They TiVo them. It's insanity.

Okay, so it's not any different from what I do with Friends. Or Gilmore Girls. Or any other show I'm obsessed with. So why does it bother me so much?

Because Hallmark has the SAME STORYLINES EVERY TIME. Girl meets guy (because non-heterosexual people don't exist, remember?). But girl already has a boyfriend/fiance. Or the girl and guy hate each other. Or, the worst of all, the girl is a workaholic and at the end of the movie discovers happiness and love.

We shouldn't be teaching women that they need a man in their life to be happy. We should be encouraging them to go out and be successful. There is something to be said about the lesson that work isn't everything. But it's never platonic friendships that pull these women out. Or their families. It's always a man.

So Hallmark, until you get some more diversity and lose the sexist messages, I won't be tuning in.