Dining Hall Hacks

Dining Hall Hacks

Here are some tips to help you navigate your dining hall

117
Dining Hall Hacks
figment

Everyone knows that college dining hall food is gross, but there are some ways to make your dining experience a bit more pleasant. Here are some tips to help you navigate your dining hall:

1. Salad Bar: The salad bar provides a healthy alternative to the fried mystery meat of the day. Simply add your favorite toppings and drizzle some olive oil and vinegar to create a yummy lunch or dinner.

2. Pizza: The pizza bar provides a cheesy alternative to the less appealing main line meals, such as meatloaf. While I don't recommend eating from this line all the time, it is a handy back up.

3.Grill: Most school cafeterias will have some sort of line set up where they will grill hamburgers and hot-dogs. This is your safety net. A lot of times they will also grill chicken and cook french-fries. This line will save your life.

4.Cereal: Cereal is always an option.

5. Sandwiches: There's a reason the PB&J is a classic.

6. Dessert: It's okay to have the occasional dessert-for-dinner day. Sometimes the only edible items are cookies and ice cream.

7. Ask: Ask the dining staff for an alternative, especially if you have a dietary restriction such as veganism or being gluten-free.

8. Mix and Match: Don't be afraid to pick a couple of items from each line to make your own creation. I've gotten shrimp from the main line and added it to a salad from the salad bar.

9. To-Go Cups:The to-go cups are great for coffee, but you can also stuff cookies, your favorite veggies and fruits in them for a snack for later.

10. Hot Chocolate: Dining halls all have their coffee pots, but what you may not be aware of is the coffee machine that will make lattes, mochas, and hot chocolate. Hot chocolate is a nice change from the usual.

11. Take-out: Some days it simply won't matter how many hacks you have, the dining hall food simply won't be able to be salvaged. It's important to have a good delivery place on speed dial.