A Guy's Perspective On The #MeToo Movement

A problem that needs to be addressed.

389
Unsplash

Nowadays, there's plenty of "drama" with EVERYTHING; drama with politics, drama in entertainment, drama during sports events, drama with news anchors, and so on. Many things seem to be affecting America more and more every day. Why? Because we care.

In my opinion, things need to change. I think this "younger generation" can change things for the better. A HUGE trending topic right now is the #MeToo movement. Celebrities are being more vocal, athletes are stepping up, and newscasters of all sorts are speaking out.

What is the #MeToo movement?

The #MeToo movement spread virally on social media in October 2017 to denounce sexual assault and harassment, while in the midst of sexual misconduct allegations against Harvey Weinstein. This movement was started by Tarana Burke, a social activist who started a campaign in 2006. Since then, numerous victims have come out to talk about their story:

1. Harvey Weinstein.

More than 50 actors have spoken up about how Weinstein has stepped over boundaries and sexually assaulted them.

2. Larry Nassar, Olympic team doctor.

Aly Raisman, one of many Olympic athletes to step up, spoke up about Nassar, a doctor she believed she could trust, but was sexually abused by. It began when she was only 13.

3. Ben Affleck.

A fan tweeted that Ben Affleck groped Hilarie Burton's breasts on an episode of TRL. Everyone "forgot though" the fan wrote. Burton then responded on Twitter saying, "I didn't forget." Affleck apologized on Twitter saying he acted inappropriately.

4. Kevin Spacey.

Actor Anthony Rapp told Buzzfeed News that Spacey made unwanted sexual advances towards him when he was just 14 years old. Because of these allegations, he lost his partnership with Netflix and a recent movie he starred in.

5. Louis C.K.

On November 9th, The New York Times published allegations made by five women who said comedian and actor Louis C.K. subjected them to sexual misconduct. Two women alleged that C.K. had exposed himself and masturbated in front of them. After these allegations, C.K. said the "stories are true" and he thought they were okay because he asked beforehand.

Sexual misconduct acts are becoming more prevalent every day, especially because more and more people are stepping up to raise awareness. They are showing there is no place for these horrible acts in this world.

The #MeToo movement seems to suggest that these sexual misconducts only happen to women, but many men and children have been subjected to sexual harassment and assault, too. Here is where I step in.

I have always had a very biased, convoluted view of Hollywood and the world outside of "me." I think that things are always dramatized through the media and that people should take everything with a grain of salt. However, with this situation, things are different. After reading the news, I'm seeing that this is no joke at all. The #MeToo movement is a reality.

To me, this shows how corrupt and misguided America is. It disturbs me seeing these "famous" people abusing their power and money to get what they want. They assert themselves in situations just to get what they want and end up scarring children, women, and men for the rest of their lives. It truly DISGUSTS me hearing these stories of sexual assault and harassment.

With regards to today's women, they have power. They deserve power because they work hard for it. Nowadays, I think women are not treated equally and in turn, they are taken advantage of. You can see inequality everywhere. In the corporate world, men get paid more. In sports, women get paid exponentially less. In Hollywood, they are openly treated worse.

At the end of the day, I think that the world is taking steps in the right direction. I think we are trying to make true equality a possibility. Movies like Wonder Woman are breaking all stereotypes and giving women hope, power, and strength. Women are hardworking and powerful; I see this in my sister.

I don't know what goes through the harasser's minds, but I know Hollywood has created a male-dominant industry. With the entertainment industry growing and having a greater female influence, many men might want to go back to the "old way" of doing things.

These men tend to be power hungry and express this through dominating actions resulting in unnecessary sexual actions and tendencies. What makes it worse? The ways in which the harassers respond to their actions. Some say they knew it was bad, they thought it was okay, they were in a weird state in their life. All of it is despicable.

At the end of the day, I am happy that people are coming out of their shells to talk about this. I'm sad and pissed that it has happened and is happening. But I'm hopeful for the future. With today's media, today's generation, today's social media, things can change.

Spread the word, make a difference, and always have hope.