Guns And Schools Just Don't Mix, That's Common Sense 101

It is our responsibility to protect these kids.

187

I recently came across a conference at which Donald Trump was addressing the tragic mass shooting that recently occurred in Florida. Trump has made statements, even before being elected stating that he does not support gun control. In January 2016, he said, "I will get rid of gun-free zones on schools -- you have to -- and on military bases on my first day. It gets signed my first day. You know what a gun-free zone is to a sicko? That's bait.".

But what really shocked me was his proposal to this controversial issue. Trump actually stated that we should in fact arm school security guards and teachers, training them on how to use guns so that in the event of a mass shooting- a teacher could "quickly disarm" the gunman.

As someone who has worked with and in elementary schools for years, and as someone who one day plans on sending their children to public school- here are a few problems I have with this.

Let me start off by stressing the importance of schools being a SAFETY ZONE for students. Particularly for kids who do not have a safe, stable environment after they leave the doors of the school building. It is just as important in a students success that they develop TRUST with their teachers...which may be difficult knowing there is a weapon ready for use nearby.

After all the people who are committing these crimes are just that, people. As are teachers, school nurses and principals. Would arming more people alleviate the desperate need for protection in schools, or simply pose a bigger threat?

Is it just me or does adding more potential shooters in the middle of a school seem counter active? Even if it is intended to be for students "protection", can you truly support that decision knowing someone else's child may very well die in the crossfire? Or the risks if a student is somehow able to get a hold of one of these guns on campus?

This topic has been widely debated across social media and it is time we do something to change the patterns of mass shootings in the U.S. Take Australia for example, who implemented gun control laws in 1996. How many mass shootings have been recorded in Australia since you ask? None. In researching gun reform in other countries I think you will find clear evidence of why it should never be okay for teachers to bare arms in any school.

Simply put, if no one had a gun, we wouldn't need more guns to fight back.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-struggles-defend-push-armed-school-teachers

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/02/21/at_listening_session_trump_suggests_teachers_should_carry_guns.html