11 Guitar Shredding '99 Rock And Metal Bands To Get You Head Banging

From power metal to Christian rock, these are the best rock bands born in 1999.

332

The late 90s and early 2000s were great times for rock and metal bands, so it’s no surprise that 1999 produced some incredible rock bands. Many of these bands were composed of kids that grew up listening to bands like Nirvana and Alice in Chains and take quite a bit of influence from early 90s grunge bands. From power metal to Christian rock, here are some of the best bands formed in 1999.

1. Avenged Sevenfold

Fresh from Huntington Beach, CA. is Avenged Sevenfold. They are well known for their creative style, extremely fast harmonized guitar riffs and one of a kind vocals. They have had 13 Top 10 Billboard Mainstream Rock Hits and had three songs reach the number one spot in the category. After the death of their drummer The Rev in 2009, the band has continued to thrive, writing two more albums and even being nominated for a Grammy. I first learned about the band after hearing their song "Shepard of Fire" in the video game "Call of Duty: Black Ops II" and instantly fell in love with the insanely clean, dueling guitar solos accompanied by the howling voice of M. Shadow.

2. Dragonforce

Dragonforce was formed in London, U.K. under the name Dragonheart. Their song “Through the Fire and Flames” was featured on multiple video games, and is one of the most difficult songs to play in “Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock.” The extremely fast, arpeggiated, guitar licks are comparable to the sounds of retro video game music. While their songs can seem somewhat repetitive, they definitely earn their place in the metal scene.

3. Kutless

Kutless is a Christian rock band from Portland, Oregon originally named Call Box but changed to Kutless in 2001. The band has been nominated for multiple GMA Dove Awards and has a few Billboard hits as well. Reaching spot thirty-six on the Top 200 charts and two number one hits in the Top Christian Albums category.

4. 10 Years

10 Years was originally formed in Knoxville, Tennessee. As a nu metal band, they take influence from grunge and metal bands like Nirvana and Tool but add in a heavier twist with screams and thicker guitar riffs in their first two albums. Their third album “The Autumn Effect” was a large success eventually receiving a Gold Record. The band took on more of an alternative style in their later albums, and the frontman, Jesse Hasek, transformed from a shirtless rocker sporting dreadlocks to a charming singer with a neat hairstyle and wardrobe. Their most recent album “(How to Live) As Ghosts” reached the number five spot on Billboard's Hard Rock Album chart.

10 Years is probably my favorite band even though they are less popular than some of the others on this list. I highly recommend adding one or two of their songs to your playlists.

5. Sabaton

Bursting through the frontlines is Sabaton, a power metal band from Falun, Sweden. Many of the band's themes are related to historic wars, specifically the dark ages and the world wars. Their music is often found accompanying memes about knights, warriors and crusaders. The band managed to get two songs onto Billboard Top 200 in 2016 and had an album reach the number two spot for Top Hard Rock Album.

6. Seether

Hailing from Pretoria, South Africa, is Seether. This post-grunge, hard rock band is influenced by artists like "Nirvana and Alice in Chains." They have a number of hits on the Billboard charts, including two number one hits for alternative rock and six number one hits in the mainstream rock category. Their style varies from the guitar-heavy song “Remedy” to the soft acoustic medley “Broken” featuring Amy Lee.

7. Killswitch Engage

Rocking their way around the world is Killswitch Engage from Westfield, Massachusetts. This metalcore band is one of the most successful bands of the genre, with two Grammy nominations and multiple hits on the Billboard charts. The band creates an interesting style by combining dark sounding music in minor keys with upbeat themes such as love and determination. The sweet but powerful melodies make this band great for relaxing or powering through a workout alike.

8. Breaking Benjamin

Bringing home multiple platinum and gold records is Breaking Benjamin from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The band has also reached the number one spot in Billboard Top 200 with their alternative and heavy rock style and takes influence from Nirvana through their angsty lyrics and heavy power chords. The frontman and only original member of the band, Benjamin Burnley, began to suffer from a mysterious illness in 2007 caused by heavy drinking.

After a break from touring and publishing music in 2010 due to the illness, he returned in 2014 with a whole new lineup. However, the band still retained its style from previous albums which is somewhat rare for a band to do, especially after a complete change in members. Illness is not the only obstacle Burnley overcomes when it comes to being a musician. In an interview, he claims to have a phobia of flying and driving, so whenever he tours Europe, he travels by boat.

Fun Fact: the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit roller coaster at Universal Studios has a secret menu allowing riders to listen to music not listed on the main menu. "Breaking Benjamin,"song “Diary of Jane” can be accessed by holding down the logo button for about ten seconds and then entering the code “124."

9. Crossfade

Rocking out of Columbia, South Carolina is Crossfade. Sporting a Platinum album, this three man alternative metal band makes some pretty notable music. Their album “Crossfade” is chock full of songs about persistence, self-betterment and regret. Crossfade perfects the sound of the early 2000s and is a great band to listen to when just you're just hanging out.

10. Rise Against

The name Rise Against isn't just a flashy title to attract rebellious teens. Protesting social injustice is one of the things this band is best at. The punk rock band from Chicago has made a multitude of songs speaking out against animal abuse, homophobia, war, civil rights violations, teen suicide and sweatshop labor. Although, there is something to be said for the popularity of their music. With two first-place hits on the Billboard Top Canadian Hits chart and four Top 10 hits on the mainstream rock chart this band definitely has a following. If you like screaming at the system about everything wrong with the world, you will love "Rise Against."

11. Trivium

Taking heavy influence from Metallica and Pantera,Trivium has created a unique style of metalcore with fast guitar riffs like power metal but smooth winding bass lines like groove metal. The band has managed to score seven hits on the Billboard Top 200, with their song “In Waves” peaking at number 13. Don’t let their mainstream popularity fool you, this band is extremely intense and not for the faint of heart! "The Crusade" is a personal favorite from their extensive list of songs. The eight-minute-long instrumental piece is packed with wicked guitar parts and jamming bass lines almost like an extended version of Van Halen's "Eruption."

Bonus Round: Zombie Nation

While you have probably never heard of Zombie Nation unless you listen to a lot of electronic music, you have almost definitely heard their song “Kernkraft 400” also known as the stadium chant song, which was played at just about every sporting event since 1999. I love listening to this song with the bass turned all the way up and feeling the groove.

Whether you only listen to rock or have completely forgotten what an electric guitar sounds like, give these bands a listen. You will not be disappointed.