What It Means To Have Depression Guilt

You Don't Need A Reason For Your Depression, It's Still Valid If Your Life Is Technically 'Good'

I know it can be easy to have depression guilt.

371
Lauren Barnette

When you have depression, you usually surround yourself with people who understand and oftentimes go through similar feelings to yourself. It becomes almost a way of life to discuss how you're feeling and what in your life makes you feel the most depressed. This is a pretty easy subject when you can discuss how you're low on money, have family or relational issues, or anything of the like that you can blame your depressive spell on.

What isn't easy, is handling being in your lowest low of depression while your life is in an amazing place.

The guilt of still being depressed to the point you can't leave your bed, feeling heavy and in pain, when you have no reason to complain is the absolute worst.

We are taught that if we "have no reason to be depressed," we just shouldn't be depressed. Those who don't have experience with mental illness always want to break people down and make them feel worse for feeling bad. This toxic societal behavior causes the guilt that we feel when life is great, but we are still depressed.

It's harder to talk about this feeling with friends because it's hard to understand.

We aren't upset about anything, we just feel heavy. There is just some kind of fog causing us to slow down, and we don't have a way to control it. It feels unfair to bring up feeling this way to your friends when they have "actual" problems causing them to feel the way you feel. Of course, we know if we did bring it up that our support systems would gladly listen and help us through it — but we just don't know how without feeling worse. The only thing we can do is push forward and hope that it passes quickly.