A Guide to the 2019 Oscars

A Short Guide To The 2019 Oscars

The Oscars may not be for everyone, but here are some quick highlights for those who just want a synopsis of this year's Academy Awards.

67
A Short Guide To The 2019 Oscars

The Oscars nominations, which came out on January 23, 2019, was met with all types of feelings—surprise, praise, disappointment. "Roma" and "The Favourite" had a whopping ten nominations each, followed by "Vice" and "A Star is Born" with eight per film. One of the biggest surprises was "Black Panther" being nominated for seven categories.

The biggest award of the ceremony is "Best Picture", with eight movies nominated: "Black Panther," "Blackkklansman," "Roma," "A Star is Born," "The Favourite," "Green Book," "Vice," and "Bohemian Rhapsody."

"Black Panther," directed by Ryan Coogler, is the beloved Marvel movie that follows King T'Challa as he tries to protect his home, the African nation of Wakanda. This movie plays with superhero tropes by offering thoughtful explorations of race and imperialism, making it the ninth highest-grossing movie of all time.

"Blackkklansman," directed by Spike Lee, is about an African-American cop who infiltrated the KKK in the 1970s. Its message is super powerful and definitely resonates with audiences.

"Roma," directed by Alfonso Cuarón, explores Mexico City in the 1970s, through the lens of a domestic worker. It's best known for its intimacy, originality, and the cinematography.

"A Star is Born," directed by Bradley Cooper, is an emotional movie with powerhouse performances by Lady Gaga and the director himself. The soundtrack, starring "Shallow" (which is nominated for "Best Original Song,") is amazing, too.

"The Favourite," directed by Yorgos Lanthimos, is a film about the relationship between two women in 18th C. England as they fight for Queen Anne's praise and attention. It's dramatic but witty, and a great watch.

"Green Book," directed by Peter Farrelly," is a film that's set in the Deep South in 1962, and follows a world-class African-American pianist, who is driven by an ill-mannered bouncer from an Italian-American neighborhood in the Bronx. It's a movie that definitely leaves you thinking about the little things in life.

"Vice," directed by Adam McKay, talks about the story of Dick Cheney, who had tremendous power as Vice President to George W. Bush, leading to a reshaping of the country right before our eyes.

"Bohemian Rhapsody," directed by Bryan Singer, celebrates Queen, making audiences relive the extraordinary performances by lead singer Freddie Mercury as him and the band defy stereotypes and perform all over the world.

All eight films show great potential in winning "Best Picture," but we'll just have to wait and see.

Something different about this year's Oscars is the lack of a host. The hosts are usually the ones who bring comic relief to an otherwise prestigious awards ceremony. Kevin Hart was the single potential host of the 2019 Oscar's, but after he refused to apologize for his past homophobic remarks that had resurfaced on Twitter, he dropped out. The Oscars' most recent plan is to gather a bunch of A-list presenters and hope for the best.

So get ready to sit back, relax, turn on your television, and enjoy the 91st Academy Awards ceremony on February 24th at 8 P.M. EST, because it's definitely going to be a wild ride!