A Guide to a Lake George Vacation

A Guide to a Lake George Vacation

Leave The City, but Stay in New York

236
A Guide to a Lake George Vacation
Flamingo Resort on Lake George

Bang! It’s a beautiful Thursday night and the sky is lit with sparkly streaks of blue, green, gold and red. Boom! Boom! Boom! The crowds disperse after the final fireworks glitter falls and the old steamboat’s grand horn sounds. The Village is flooded by energized groups of friends and excited families. Music fills the air, coupled with laughter and the ring of distant arcade game wins.

For approximately 35 years my family has enjoyed an annual summer trip to the Adirondacks. From my first kiss in a log cabin at age 14, to my first legal drink at age 21, Lake George has offered me a plethora of momentous milestones, unforgettable moments and precious memories. If you’re looking to escape the city, but explore New York, allow me to suggest why Lake George should be your next vacation destination:

1. The Town

Lake George Village is bustling with its collection of eclectic stores, restaurants, arcades, and haunted houses. The strips nightlife is just a short walk away from every hotel. Each week there is music in the park that overlooks the beautiful lake, and every Thursday features an exciting fireworks show.

2. Mini Golf

I know what you’re thinking…Mini golf? Really? However, mini golf is no joke in Lake George and therefore, requires its very own category. There are numerous courses both in and outside of town with uniquely whimsical themes that can transport you to new worlds of fantasy. Coming from someone who typically hates mini golf, the Lake George courses are awesome. The decorative waterfalls and statues alone are worthy of your attention and time.

3. Shopping

There is no shortage of shopping options in Lake George. Just a short drive away from the village are the newly renovated Lake George Factory Outlets, which include all of your favorite upscale stores and brands. The nearby towns of Glens Falls and Queensbury offer some familiar chain stores as well as a mall. However, if that’s not your scene, you won’t have to look far for alternatives. The surrounding towns of Bollston Spa and Warrensburg are perfect destinations for antiquers. Saratoga Springs is another adorable shopping location (and my personal favorite).

4. Mini-Ha-Ha Steamboat

Toot! Toot! All aboard for the cutest tour you will ever take. According to the Lake George Steamboat Company’s website, the Minnie-Ha-Ha is one of the last steam paddle wheelers in America. The relaxing hour ride will take you up and down Lake George. Although it’s not the only boat available for tourists, it is certainly the most popular and charming.

5. History

I’ll admit, this part doesn’t appeal to me that much; however, history buffs like my father and brother love exploring “The Queen of American Lakes” rich past. Lake George, which was originally called “Andia-ta-roc-te” by the Native Americans and later “Lac du St. Sacrement,” is home to remnants of ships that were deliberately sunk during the winter in times of war. On one side of the lake (in the Village) is Fort William Henry, which was used during the French and Indian War. On the other end of the lake stands Fort Ticonderoga, which was primarily used during the Revolutionary War. If you’re looking to explore American history, the Lake George region is definitely a place for you to visit.

6. Amusement Parks

Six Flags Great Escape and water park is but one of the many amusement park options offered in the Lake George area. If enormous roller coasters aren’t your thing, and your looking for a more kid friendly environment, visit Magic Forest to see adorable characters and magic shows. There are also cool water slide parks just outside of town.

7. Extreme Sports / Water Excursions

Fishing, speed boating, kayaking, parasailing and more are all available to you either at your hotel or in the Lake George Village. Although jet skiing isn’t allowed in the lake by the main strip, it is permitted in Bolton Landing, which is just a short drive away. The same town is also home to “extreme” zip lining and ropes courses. White water rafting and tubing rides in Lake Luzern are scenic and beautiful; however, if you are truly looking for a magnificent encounter with nature, then a hiking trip at Ausable Chasm is the way to go.

8. Drive-In Movie Theatre

Glens Falls offers you a blast from the past with its drive in theatre. You can enjoy two current popular movies back-to-back from the comforts of your car. This is something that everyone totally needs to experience at least once in their life.

9. Saratoga Race Track

Craving beauty, speed and adrenaline? Saratoga Springs is just a few highway exits away from Lake George. The town is charming, the fashion is incredible, and the racetrack gambling is great.

10. Restaurants

What you have all been waiting for… FOOD! Here are a few of my absolute favorites…

Suttons, Silo, and Lone Bull (for the perfect way to start your morning)

Blue Water Manor and The Boat House (for an amazing view of Lake George) George’s (for the truly carnivorous patron)

Up River Cafe (for a gourmet dinner and delightful helping of Nutella bread pudding on the Hudson River)

The Grist Mill (for a bit of history while dining on the Schroon River)

9 Dragons Chinese Buffet (for a delicious assortment of button popping indulgence)

Morgan & Co Restaurant (for a uniquely scrumptious assortment)

The Whistling Kettle (for the tea connoisseur and a yummy brunch)