A 6-Point Guide To Surviving Finals

A 6-Point Guide To Surviving Finals

Think about it, a week from now all of this will be over time... well, until the end of next semester.

2
A 6-Point Guide To Surviving Finals
startupstockphotos

Final exams are severely nerve racking and stress us all out. But here are a few tactics to help you survive this time.

SLEEP.

Sleep is very important. Sleep deprivation is negatively related to a GPA. It’s a fact that those who pull all-nights actually have a lower GPA. Get some sleep!

Exercise.

Take a break from studying and get a little workout in. It’s proven that exercise releases endorphins that improve your mood and decrease health problems and stress.

Don't forget to eat.

Not just little snack foods either, but actual meals. Although you may have a busy schedule, you should always take breaks for a regular, healthy meal. Not only will these meals give you energy and nutrition but they also help you take a break and refresh.

Have a plan.

Plan out your study sessions in advance. Know what all you want to accomplish. Also with a timed out plan you know there is an “end” in sight to push you to study longer, and it'll help you not quite as easily.

Avoid distractions.

Put your phone away and any other distractions you know that would be necessary. There are even ways to block sites on your computer for a certain period of time so you cant ver off and get distracted. If you're one that listens to music while studying, that’s great. But make sure the music is turned down low and it’s not something you would be signing along to.

Find a good study spot.

Study at a desk, a table, or even the floor. Just don't study in your bed. Your body and your brain associate your bed with sleeping. If you try to study there, you are bound to end up feeling drowsy or falling asleep.

A few more random facts/hacks to help improve your studying

-Scents: Spray and unfamiliar smell while you're studying, and right as you're about to take the test. The scent will help jog your memory.

-Gum: similar to the smell, gum can do the same thing. Chew a piece of gum while studying, then chew that same favor of gum while taking the test and it will help you recall things.

-Music: While listening to hours of recorded lectures, put on instrumental background music to help you focus through the boredom.

-Food: Leave yourself some type of snack while reading once you get to that particular spot.

-Fonts: When studying, avoid when possible easy-to-read fonts. Research has shown that large, easy-to-read fonts are likely to be skimmed over. Information presented in a more challenging font is more likely to be retained.

-Discipline: Use a program to block distracting sites on your computer for a certain period of time.

-Old tests: practice an old exam. One of the best ways to prepare for exams is to practice taking past versions. This helps you get used to the format of the questions.

Good luck!!