A Guide to Your Netflix Binge Session

A Guide to Your Netflix Binge Session

Because we all know Max doesn't really help you make a decision.

23
A Guide to Your Netflix Binge Session

It's winter break. When you're not working your 9-5, it's the perfect time to catch up on a few movies or start a new series. Either way, we all know that at some point during your five weeks of class-free days, you'll have a Netflix binge session. With the hundreds of choices available in every category imaginable, it can be tough deciding what to watch. Netflix came out with this great idea: Max, a computer guide that looks through your past selections to help you decide what to watch this time and take your Netflix experience to the max. Cue drumkick. 

But honestly, Max isn't that great, and it would be way easier to just have a guide of shows you know you would like. Well, lucky for you, I have had extensive Netflix experience and am here to help you out. Here is a list of what to watch based on the category you're in the mood for. 

Comedy

Hitch: Starring Will Smith, this movie is about to celebrate it's 10th birthday. Yup, I now feel old because I definitely remember this coming out. Anyway, Hitch is a smooth operator that teaches other men his ways to get that first date and help them knock it out of the park. But he is thrown off his own game when a hot reporter, played by Eva Mendes, starts looking into his business. 

Hot Rod: You can't go wrong with Andy Samberg. With his sidekicks played by Isla Fisher and Jorma Taccone, stuntman Rod Kimble (Samberg) tries to raise enough money to get his stepfather a new heart, by completing the biggest jump of all time over 15 buses, so he can become a man and kick his stepdad's a**. 

Spaceballs: I'm slightly embarrassed that I'm recommending this because I was very hesitant to watch it myself. But thanks to some convincing from my 16 and 17-year-old brothers, this was one I actually laughed out loud to. LOLZ. A Star Wars spoof starring Mel Brooks is pretty self-explanatory. We've all seen a spoof or two, but this one will give you a good laugh. 

Action

Olympus Has Fallen: I'm a fan because with all the crap going on with North Korea (how was having no internet LOL?), this one was more realistic to me. Plus with a cast of studs, Gerard Butler and Aaron Eckhart, it made all of the killing easier on the eyes. Basically, North Koreans take over the White House and a former member of the Secret Service has to go in and lay down the law to save the President who has been taken hostage. Not to mention Morgan Freeman is also in it. Dat voice.

A Knight's Tale: A young peasant named William, played by the loved and missed Heath Ledger, pretends to be a knight in order to enter and win numerous jousting tournaments. Along with the riches and glory that come from being a jousting champion, young William sets his sights on the Princess and attempts to romance her. Ooooohhhh so scandalous. 

Seal Team Six: I think the title gives you a pretty good idea of what this is about ... but this is a recreation of what director John Stockwell thinks went down during the mission to take out Osama Bin Laden. With some hardcore training and a pretty bada** raid scene, Cam Gigandet (the bad guy from Never Back Down, remember him?) stars in this action thriller that will leave you feeling patriotic and proud to be an American. 'Merica.

*Honorable Mention* Limitless: They took this off of streaming on Netflix (crying) but you could still get the DVD. (Do people actually do this?) Eddie, played by Bradley Cooper, is a writer in New York who is suffering from writer's block. After running into his ex-wife's brother, Eddie is introduced to the drug NZT-48, basically Adderall on steroids. A loan shark mob strikes, and Eddie has to escape as he is trying to get back with his ex-girlfriend while balancing his newly-written book and the millions he's making in the stock market (all thanks to this new drug).

Horror/Thriller

Zodiac: Based on the real Zodiac killings that occurred in California in the 1960's and 1970's, this will have you on the edge of your seat. Jake Gyllenhaal plays a lowly cartoonist who begins looking into the case after it seems as though all other options have been looked at and the drug addicted crime reporter, played by Robert Downey Jr., isn't getting any further. This is thrilling because of the cryptic messages sent by the serial killer and the red herrings that are ever present. Will they ever find the killer? 

Carrie: Whether it's the 1976 original or the 2013 remake starting Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore, this is a great revenge film. After being bullied relentlessly, young Carrie decides to seek revenge on her classmates who have tormented her after discovering she has supernatural powers, and what better place to do it than prom? 

The Blair Witch Project: One of the first horror films to be shot through a "home film" or "documentary" perspective, this 1999 classic should definitely be on your watch list. The three students go into the woods where the murders of numerous people have been attributed to the fabled witch to investigate. I'm sure you can guess what happens when you go out seeking a killer witch, but none the less, it's a great movie.

Romance

Silver Linings Playbook: Seriously, this is one of the best and least girly romance movies I've seen in a while. Boyfriends everywhere, listen up. Starring America's favorite girl, Jennifer Lawrence, and Bradley Cooper, this quirky romance is something fresh and unexpected. After spending over half a year in a mental institution, Pat (Cooper) is determined to get his life back together, including winning back his wife, Nikki. After meeting Tiffany (Lawrence) who has issues of her own, the two work out a plan where they each do each other an unexpected favor. Spoiler Alert: After spending so much time together and rebuilding their lives, Pat and Tiffany find something special in each other. Awwwww.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape: Throwback to old school Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio circa 1993. Actually, this is some of the best acting by Leo I think I've seen. Gilbert (Depp) is a young man who was forced to take over the head of the house when his father committed suicide many years ago. He must take care of his developmentally disabled brother, Arnie (DiCaprio), while caring and providing for the family. His responsibilities get in the way of a new budding romance with Becky, a girl who's grandmother stuck in town with her grandmother for a week. Highly recommend.

Stuck in Love: I actually just watched this one recently and surprisingly really liked it. It has an outstanding cast including my number one bae, Logan Lerman, along with Jennifer Connelly, Lily Collins and Kristen Bell. The film showcases the Borgens family's quest for love throughout the year. College student Sam (Collins) and her 16-year-old brother Rusty's mother Erica (Connelly) left their father Bill for another man, but he can't seem to leave her alone. This film is admittedly pretty predictable, but it's a feel good happy ending film. 

Slap Shot: This 1977 comedy is a must see. A former star player is now coaching a minor league hockey team that is less than outstanding. In order to get more fans and higher attendance at their games, he encourages the players to start fighting dirty because that's what the people like. 

Division III: If you don't enjoy sarcasm and inappropriate humor as much as I do, you may not feel the same about this one as I do. This is again, a film I watched after the persuasion of teenage boys, but another laugh out loud comedy. The Blue Cocks need a new coach so they bring in the crazy Rick Vice. In an attempt to turn the team around, Vice works the team hard in his own unique ways.

Radio: I'm really a fan of the inspired by true story movies. If you haven't already seen this, you need to. A high school football coach is over his team and their town's attitudes, and after befriending a developmentally disabled man, he brings him on the team. After seeing how his abilities and social skills grow throughout his time with the coach and team, the town is inspired to make changes themselves. Oh the warm fuzzies. 

*Honorable Mentions* 

Rudy, Happy Gilmore, The Benchwarmers and Friday Night Lights