13 Things You Need To Know About Music Festivals Before You Take The Leap And Buy Your First Ticket

It's that time of year again when every other weekend there is a music festival of some kind to attend. Here is a guide on how to survive

269
Brandy Melville/ Instagram

It’s that time of year again when every other weekend there is a music festival of some kind. I’ve gone to my fair share of festivals and so has my crew/squad/team, whatever you choose to call yours. I’ve been from camping to a regular old festival in a city park. Here is a guide on how to survive not all, but most music festivals.

1. Always have a good crew

I’ve gone with just one friend and it was fun but thank the lord we ran into a huge group who accepted us and we spent the time with them. It was definitely way more fun, and since then I have found a crew that I go to all my festivals with. Ever since finding them, I can’t imagine going to a single festival without at least one of them! So find your squad, I promise it will make your experience 10x better!

2. Don't over pack

I promise you won’t use half the clothes you pack and it will just clutter up your hotel/tent more than it needs to be.

3. Must-have items

The things I don’t leave home without GLITTER! You can never have too much glitter. Bandanas are great all around especially when it gets dusty and hot. Cheap Sunglasses, I promise you may lose at least one pair!

4. Phones

Watch out for your phones. I have friends lose theirs, get theirs stolen and break them. Be smart and careful with them!

5. Stay hydrated

I always bring my CamelBak with me and it does save lives! Usually, my group switches off who carries it because it can get to be too much for one person if you’re the only one with it in the group. No matter what you’re doing make sure that you drink plenty of water throughout the trip.

6. Know where the medic tent is

Always find out where the med tents are in the festival, just in case. It is always better to be safe than sorry. Maybe not for your groups' sake, but for someone that you see who may need it as well.

7. Bring snacks

I always bring little snacks into the festival with me, like Cheez-Its and protein bars. This is because when you’re dancing and running around sometimes you don’t remember to eat and may get hungry while you’re front row at the best concert.

8. Meeting spot

This is probably one of the major things that all groups should have. Find a meeting spot in the festival where you go to after every show. My crew did this and it was great because when we met up after every show we would then either go our separate ways to a different show or sometimes in the midst of the crowd we’d lose one another during the show. It was nice to get together after everything.

9. Camping

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing at least one camping festival every year!! Whether it be Okeechobee, Bonnaroo, Coachella, or a smaller one. They are one of the best experiences you will ever have. Make sure to pack accordingly – it gets super hot at most of these festivals and so lots of FANS are great!

10. Buddy system

Make sure you have a buddy system going on in your group when going to the bathroom etc… this goes along with your meeting spot as well.

11. It is OK to go on your own

Make sure that you do have your meeting spot down before going on your own. I promise that going on your own to a show will be amazing. Everyone has their own taste in music and sometimes your favorite person is at the same time as your friends. You will probably meet some fun people who could join your group, just be smart and safe!

12. BE POSITIVE

I can’t stress this enough. Most people at these events are all about being positive, and good vibes! So please keep that going and don’t bring any negativity with you. It’s meant to be a great experience, for you and everyone around you!

13. Know your festival

Lastly, there are music fests that are a wide range of different kinds of music, and festivals alike. So know where you are, and know what it is all about!

I hope you follow these guidelines because it will give you the best experience that you can possibly have!! Now go out there, book your tickets, and have a great time!