Growing Up Watching Star Wars

Growing Up Watching Star Wars

Why I loved and continue to love the well known space opera that is Star Wars.

3
Growing Up Watching Star Wars

As a kid, I would always sit on the couch and go through the channel listings to find the TV channel Spike and record the Star Wars marathon. After they recorded, well, that's where the fun began. I would sit with my sister, watching each Star Wars movie one after the other, loving each second of it.

If you don't know, Star Wars is a movie and TV franchise that revolves around the Skywalker family and battles between good and evil. The movies are separated into trilogy's, the first trilogy having to do with the rise of Darth Vader, the second trilogy having to do with the redemption of Darth Vader, and the third trilogy having to do with the legacy of Darth Vader. These movies told tales of love, redemption, and good overcoming evil. I fell in love with the tales told by the movies because of how they were so impactful. A story about a father being saved by his son and turning him from the dark side to the light? That's the type of story that touches hearts and makes a movie so attractive.

I loved the movies as a kid because of their stunning visuals and captivating lightsaber battles, but now I love the movies for other reasons. The first reason has to be the Star Wars community and the fact that the one thing everyone agrees on is the meme potential from quotes in the movies. A constant in many Star Wars pages on Instagram are the various memes created by taking quotes from the movies and applying them to scenarios in real life. A fan favorite quote from the saga is a quote from Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan Kenobi, where he so famously says "Hello there" to the droid general, General Greivous. The humor from these memes is always enough to make me laugh for minutes on end.

The second reason I still love Star Wars is the show Star Wars: The Clone Wars. This show that was originally for children in reality has a larger demographic among teenagers and some young adults. The reason behind this is because of the various adult elements that appear on the show from time to time. One example is when the evil Darth Maul kills Obi-Wan Kenobi's former lover right in front of him, making him feel helpless and leaving her to die in his arms. In my opinion, that's not very kid friendly. The scene is very sad, and frankly makes the audience uneasy. The show also has various comedic moments, and has many memorable moments that reference the movies. Now that the series has been renewed for a seventh and final season, the Star Wars community has come together again and rejoiced.

The third reason I love Star Wars so much is the music by John Williams. John Williams was the composer for the entire Star Wars saga, and provided beautiful music to accompany the movies. One such example is the score "Battle of the Heroes" that played during the lightasber battle between brothers Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker. The score has an underlying tone of desperation and sadness, which accompanies the dramatic battle between to Jedi who once loved each other as brothers. John Williams did a phenomenal job in composing these pieces, and truly elevated the scenes that us fans so love.

Star Wars will always hold a special place in my heart, and will always be one of my favorite movie franchises. These movies tell tales of love and hope, and teach lessons to anyone who watch them.