What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?

We are all faced with this tough question at some point - from relatives or from an interviewer. So how do we answer it?

2

The first time I was really asked this question was actually during my interview for the Odyssey. I took a moment to think "What can I picture myself doing?" while stalling with a few uh's and um's. I finally brought myself to outright admit it, though: I don't know.

It's a tough question that I've never answered with complete certainty. In the past, I've wanted to have all sorts of random, unrelated jobs, like a professor, a veterinarian, an astronaut, or a psychologist, but now, I may have finally figured it out.

This past year I have developed a love for all sorts of subareas in the journalistic world. I have filmed videos, written articles, and captured photos then edited them. Through all of this, I discovered a passion for creating my own pieces from what starts as scattered ideas that become complete and rewarding products to be shared on social media. Not only does journalism serve as a personal fulfillment by channeling my creativity into a video, a written piece, or a photo, but it also gives me the chance to connect with individuals through social and digital media.

I recently realized that I wanted to study journalism and possibly even pursue it as a career. I can picture myself working in the headquarters of a news platform, typing up an article, making phone calls, or interviewing people. I can picture myself, in all truthfulness, scrambling to meet deadline but later reading the final published article in excitement.

This, though, still isn't a concrete answer, despite my strong interest in the journalistic world.

It is perfectly fine not to have a clear-cut answer in response to every question you are asked, even in interviews, believe it or not. Sometimes it's even better; that makes you a real, relatable person. You don't need to have everything figured out, and you definitely don't need to have your future figured out. After all, it's called the future, isn't it?