Growing Up With Brothers

I'm The Girl With 4 Brothers And I Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way

To me, it's perfect.

461
Personal Photo

Most people are surprised or shocked when I tell them I have four brothers and that I am the only girl. I usually have to show them a picture of all of us together for them to believe me. It's funny really. They are all respond with the same thing,

"Oh you poor thing! That must have been so hard to grow up with all those boys!" "It must have been so hard not having a sister! Bless your heart!"

When I tell them that I actually loved it, and would not change one thing about it, they look at me like crazy for actually enjoying being the only girl in the middle of four rowdy brothers.

I grew up with two older brothers and two younger brothers. Now sure, there were days that I wanted to strangle all four of them because they would do anything and everything to get on my nerves. We often got into wrestling matches to see who was stronger and faster. I knew that no matter what, they are always going to be there for me. But growing up with brothers and being the only other female in the house besides our mom, has taught me so many things.

For starters, they taught me how to fight. I was pretty young when I learned how to throw a proper punch. And I learned how to fend and fight for myself if I were in danger or some punk guy won't leave me alone. Which I did not really have to worry about anyways because most people did not mess with me because they knew my brothers were close behind.

They taught me to be humble. There is a saying "If you want to be humbled, ask your brothers what you look like." I can't tell you how true this statement is. Many times, even if I didn't ask for it, my brothers gave me lots of advice on what I was wearing and whether it looked good or not or whether my makeup made me look appropriate or not. Even though they are my brothers, it was actually humbling to get a guy's perspectives on what I looked like and on the clothes I was wearing.

They taught me what true friendship is. Now I know that this sounds cliché. But it is true when I say that my brothers are my best friends. Without their love and support, I would not be where I am today. Yes, we fight and argue sometimes, but it does not last long. We usually end up walking away and not talking for like 5 minutes and then we are back to goofing off or playing catch in the yard or sitting by the fire pit, contemplating life.

I do have to say that the hardest part of having brothers, especially younger brothers, is being away from college and not being able to see them every day and not being able to see them grow up and accomplish their goals. But coming home to see that they are now almost a foot taller than me, that they have facial hair, and are handsome young men now, makes it all worth it. Having four brothers may seem crazy to some people, but to me, it's perfect and I would not have it any other way.