When I Grow Up

When I Grow Up

I don't know what I want to be, but I know who I want to be.

8
When I Grow Up
flickr

I don't know what my future holds, but I definitely know the kind of person I want to be.

I want to provide support.

Whether that means serving as a small group leader or simply continuing to be there for my friends who need advice, I want to impart the wisdom I’ve gained from my experiences to others. Hopefully, people know that they can trust me to give honest, helpful guidance.

I want to love others.

I try my best to be a happy and positive person, most of the time. There are many instances, however, where I fall short of loving people the way I should. I want to strive to make other people feel important. Not everyone is lucky enough to have friends and family who show them unconditional love and support. I am blessed with awesome people in my life, so I feel empowered to show the love I receive to everyone I meet.

I want to have patience.

Patience is something I have always struggled with. I am easily frustrated with unexpected hold-ups in my schedule because I constantly run around from one activity to the next. I want to learn how to let go of the factors I cannot control more easily and focus more on enjoying my time. There’s a delay? Maybe I can take the opportunity to exercise forgiveness and enjoy the break in my day. It would be nice to take some time and truly enjoy what I am doing.

I want to have the right priorities.

As any Hallmark movie will teach you, so many adults become wrapped up in their jobs and do not make proper time for the things that matter most in life. I don’t want to wake up one day and realize that I’ve wasted my time on things that don’t matter. Yes, work is important and should capture your attention and hard work on a daily basis. But you should not prioritize your work over the people in your life. I also want to prioritize my health, making exercise and healthy eating part of my daily life.

I want to be a mom.

While I have not decided what kind of career I want to pursue, I know for sure that I want to be a mom. It’s such a hard, demanding job, but it’s the most important job in the world. I already embrace being the mom of my friend group; I like being a source of comfort and encouragement for others. I want to be the best mom I can be, raising my kids to become good, happy, strong people.

I want to volunteer.

I wish I took more time to serve others. With the chaos of college life, I do not take enough time to volunteer. Once college is over, I would like to give my time to worthwhile causes. I admire generous people who freely give so much time and energy without a second thought.