Grouplove Has Something Big To Share

Grouplove Has Something Big To Share

Namely, one of the best albums this year.

7
Grouplove Has Something Big To Share
Daily Cal

Yes, boys and girls, they have done it again. This time, with a Big Mess, Grouplove, has yet again opened our hearts and ears to some joyous melodies. Released September 9th, the album has eleven amazing tracks. From the lead off song, Welcome To Your Life, about their new baby, to their pivotal last track Hollywood, this album is one beautiful mess of art. The first time I heard Welcome to Your life, I was coming home from a pretty rough day. Although as soon as I heard this lead off track, it put my life into perspective again. As I mentioned earlier, this song is for their daughter. It’s a very touching song on how you are capable of setting your mind to anything you want to do. It shows how you are in reach of your dreams, no matter how far the distance may be. It captivates that life is truly a beautiful place in so many ways.

I remember the first time I heard about Grouplove. I was about fifteen or sixteen and Never Trust A Happy Song, Grouplove’s first album, had recently been released. One of my best friends has texted me, asking me if I wanted to go to their show in Philly. Unfortunately, I couldn’t go, but I went home, listened to the record, and fell in love. I love the hits on the record like Itching On a Photograph and their biggest hit to date, Tounge Tied. Although for me I have to say the entire album is a masterpiece. I feel connected to each poetic song. This album was one that I wish I could rediscover, and fall in love with it over and over again. I went out and bought the record, (isn’t it such a beautiful thing to have the physical copy?!) and played it till I thought I was going to break my record player.

I would belt out their beautifully written song Colors, signing It's the colors you have, no need to be sad. You've still got your health…..we call it life.” And I would chant out others songs from the album like "Love Will Save Your Soul" and "Close Your Eyes And Count To Ten," which also have catchy melodies and meaningful lyrics.

Speed up things to the summer of 2014, I was finally able to go see Grouplove at Festival Pier in Philly, thanks to Radio 104.5. It for sure was a night I will never forget. It is truly something special when you are able to connect with a musician or band, which I've written about before. Art, just like live music, has always been something special to me as well. Hannah Hooper, who is the front woman for the band, creates most, if not all the album artwork for them. Not only is she a great musician, but her artwork is fantastic. I distinctly remember her saying that night that people should produce art in the world, and anyone is capable of doing it. At that moment it clicked for me that she is correct. It’s such an amazing form of expression, and anyone can produce it. No matter what you are feeling, no matter what time of day it is, you are capable of creating something. Whether it’s a form of writing, a doodle in your notebook, a well thought out painting - you are capable of doing anything you set your mind to, and art has the ability to make you happy and to express yourself, which is truly special.

After seeing them that night, I had the privilege of singing and jumping at one of their other shows at the Firefly music festival this past summer - twice in one day. They played at the main stage at around 4, and a few hours later, they played an intimate session underneath the trees. Both shows were amazing, and I was so lucky that I was able to witness both sets. I am also so privileged that I get to have another musical experience with them November 1st at the Fillmore in Philadelphia, with all new music to boot.

So if you have a chance, listen or buy their new album Big Mess. It is a beautiful mess to me.