Group Projects Shouldn't Exist In College
College

Dear Professors, We Are In College, Group Projects Should NOT Be A Thing

Why do these still exist?

175

I don't think I've ever met someone who hasn't had a terrible group project. Terrible meaning most of the work gets dumped onto one person, two or three people put in minimal effort, and there's always that one kid that does absolutely nothing. I just went through this last week for a marketing project presentation, and I'm still stressing over it.

We were asked to design a powerpoint promoting an imaginary student to various companies looking for newly graduated employees. So I divided the work (I even gave myself the most of the harder parts to save time) and I emailed everyone their sections. This presentation was different from others and was weighted 20% of our grade. It was required to not only speak formally as if in front of a company but also to wear formal attire such as suits and slacks. It was kind of important that we did well.

Everyone agreed we should have most of the work done five days before the due date so that we could polish it up before the big presentation. However, when it came down to it, two guys in our group decided they would go against the group decision and wait till the last minute.

For confidentiality purposes, their names will be Tom and Jerry.

I emailed them both multiple times asking if they needed help if they didn't think they could finish them, if there was anything I could do, etc. Tom finally did his slides two days before presenting. I edited them and made sure they coincided with all the other information But, Jerry wouldn't email back. He didn't even show up to the class before the presentation. When it comes to grades if you want to fail, that's on you. But, in a group project, your effort affects everyone. Everyone has to do their part.

At 9 p.m. the night before it was due (which was also my birthday) Jerry emailed me asking if I could finish up his slides and add whatever he left out. Clearly annoyed, I took a glance at the half-assed picture-less powerpoint slides that look like they were written by a third grader. I was extremely frustrated. I told him his slides were trash and that he had to redo them. He tried to come up with excuses but I told him I did reach out to him multiple times asking if there was anything I could to do help.

He fixed them up so they were barely mediocre, was late to the presentation, and wore Jordans and a hoodie. My teacher emailed me later that day and wrote that she noticed a lack of effort from one of our group members and that he will be graded separately.

Moral of the story is, email your teacher when others slack. Some are understanding and will grade you differently. If not, then pick your groups wisely and good luck.