I Am A Greek Student, But You Know Nothing About Me

I am so tired of hearing the ridiculous stereotypes, expectations, and assumptions.
293

I am a young woman.

I am in college.

I am in a sorority.

Stop assuming you know me.

I am so tired of hearing the ridiculous stereotypes, expectations, and assumptions every single person feels they are entitled to throw my way.

Newsflash: you know nothing about me.

Here's the truth.

While I can only really speak for my chapter and my campus, I can tell you these statements are all wrong here. Do people break the rules? Yes. Are there repercussions for breaking said rules? Yes. But that's life and being in college!

"Sororities do not allow alcohol in their chapter facilities...but we all know that's not true."

Sororities are dry, meaning we are not allowed to have alcohol or drugs on chapter property, ever. Case closed.

"I know what you all do on the weekend."

Not all of us go out every weekend?? I don't go out and drink at fraternities, in fact, I haven't been on fraternity property all semester. Some women go out all the time and some never leave the house. None of us care who goes out and who does not. Why are you so obsessed with "proving" all Greek students love to party more than your average college kid?

"You guys are policy compliant? Yeah, no, I know you really aren't."

Hi there. My chapter is policy compliant, you twat. We do not have exchanges with alcohol, we do not haze, we do not force people to go out, we do not spend chapter funds to purchase alcohol, we do not sponsor events that serve minors alcohol. We are policy compliant and proud to be, so stop telling me that we aren't.

"Students only go Greek to party."

I did not go Greek to party. Call me cliche, basic and a faker, but I joined my chapter to build my family. I had nobody at this school who cared about me, and I needed that. Through my chapter, I have found my people, and, guess what? We don't need alcohol to have fun. We would much rather watch movies under a heated blanket with snacks than brave the subzero temperatures in a miniskirt and heels like you think everyone does.

"___ is why all Greek chapters are the same and need to be shut down."

Stop right there. Just, stop. You know nothing about my chapter. I cannot defend every single chapter and sorority woman out there, but I can and will defend mine. We are all different. We all have values and philanthropies and sisterhoods and stupid late-night memories spent watching tv shows in the lounge. We do not deserve to be shut down.

Being Greek doesn't give college kids drug addictions.

Being Greek doesn't send kids to the hospital for overdosing.

Being Greek doesn't make someone a rapist.

Being Greek is not the problem here. Stop taking the easy way out by pointing your fingers at all Greek students. Take responsibility and look at the actual cause of the problems on your campus instead of trying to uncover another reason why you are so much better than every Greek student.