Living Beyond The Sorority Girl Stereotypes

Yes, I Am A Sorority Girl And Sure, I Buy Shirts To Rep My Letters But I Am Not The Stereotype

I have become a better version of myself thanks to the women are round, my sisters.

315

Yes, I am in a sorority. I was the girl who absolutely despised the concept until I rushed. I believed in the stereotypes that are so far from the reality of what being in Greek Life really is like.

I have met my best friends by joining my sorority. I knew no matter where I am or what I am doing, I know I can reach out to someone. For the first time in my life, I don't feel like I am sacrificial who I am to keep my friends happy. I have now the most amazing group of people in my life who embrace and support me in so many ways. I feel so beyond bless knowing they are my sisters.

I also give to a philanthropy that means a lot to me. No, I am not just some white chick trying to look good in the eyes of society. Knowing someone who has autism, I know the benefits they can get from Autism Speaks. Alpha Xi Delta has an organization has given $8 million. Also, none of my sisters ever complain about volunteering at events because we know we're giving back to a great cause.

Sure, I might go out, but that doesn't mean all I do is party. Really, I only go out on a Friday or Saturday night with friends. I have been told repeatedly that people are "concerned about me," because I go out more than I did in high school.

I am not the same person I was in high school, nor do I ever want to go back to being that person. Yes, I go out more because frankly, I'm with people I enjoy being with. I want to go out, have fun, and make memories with the people who are closest to me.

I do like buying shirts to rep my letters, taking cute Instagram photos, and talking about why I love Alpha Xi Delta. I love wearing double blue and gold because they have now become my favorite colors. I also have a rose tattoo that I ~joke~ is for my sorority.

So to anyone who wants to try to tell me Greek life is "overrated," that's okay it isn't for you. It really isn't for everyone. You find the people you click, your family, and your home. Whether it is in club volleyball or joining a fraternity/sorority, everyone ends up finding where they belong.

This is where I belong.